COLUMN: Calvin Crest leaders reflect on experience

Unhindered by the chance of fire, the class of 2023 received the full Calvin Crest experience. Last year, fire threatened the very lively hood of the Calvin Crest Camp. Limited to only a weekend last year the students experienced only a small portion of the whole week.

This year due to a large portion of outdoor class areas burned, many different trails changed location and new material was needed. For example the Miwok village students previously experienced burned to the ground and a new Miwok village closer to the camp is in the makings of being created. Staffers Kamryn Schultz and Andrew Rieker share their experience. 

Andrew Rieker

[/media-credit] Students take part in Crazy Hair Night and participate in a quiz show.

New to the responsibilities of a counselor, I doubted my ability at first but as hours progressed to days and days the week, I developed a sense of courage and also respect for other counselors with more difficult students to share the week with.

Taking on the responsibilities of watching a respectful group of boys helped ease my way into the prospects of a counselor. Walking into this experience with no practice really exposed me to a new adventure.

I felt that I received a great experience similar to my eighth grade trip only enhanced and from the viewpoint of a counselor. New things that I got to see included the whole idea of being the focus point of the evening activities instead of laughing at it from the student point of view. This impacted me because it forced me to most of the time go out of my comfort zone and make myself vulnerable in front of a group of people younger than me. Even better I enjoyed the activities and would love to do it again.

A couple of things that I felt I learned rolled along the lines of dealing with difficult situations, like defusing a problem in the cabin between students. I think that I also progressed in my ability to connect with people younger than me. Previously, I struggled to really get to know people younger than me so this showed me that I can do it and that those kids are really cool once you know them.

My favorite part of the trip occurred on crazy hair night when I got to help the kids get ready and spray their hair with color and get my own hair crazy. This was a real bonding moment with the kids in my cabin and it was so cool to see all the crazy hair and the students possibly getting out of their comfort zone to design their hair in a wonky way.

Kamryn Schultz

Calvin Crest has always taken a special place in my heart. I had a great experience going in eighth grade, and again as a counselor my junior year. Mrs. Rojeski asked me back as a leader, and I eagerly said yes. Not only do I love the atmosphere up in the mountains and getting away from technology, but it also gives me the opportunity to connect with students as well as the other leaders.

This was my final year traveling to Calvin Crest. Driving up, I was full of joy and hope, knowing that I wanted to make an impact to these 8th graders. Not having a great leader my 8th grade year challenged me to become someone the junior highers could look up to and confide in. I also wanted to become a role model for my girls and show them how to lead a God-influenced life.

[/media-credit] Junior highers go on nature hikes and learn interesting information about Giant Sequoias.

For five days, I spent my time in a cabin with six girls and went on nature walks and survival trails. On the first day we went on a night hike, and got to experience God’s creation through the millions of stars illuminating the sky. It almost brought me to tears thinking about how great our God is and the amazing things he is capable of.

I expected to go through some challenges at Calvin Crest, because I was dealing with 8th graders. But to my surprise, the only trouble was getting kids to talk to me at meal times. And once you brought up a game, they started engaging in conversation.

I had the amazing privilege to lead girls in my cabin that wanted to listen to what I had to say. It was definitely a challenging moment for me to speak the right truths into these girl’s lives, but it allowed me to e

One thing that I will definitely miss about Calvin Crest is the crazy hair night and the quiz show. Watching the kids get competitive and having fun made my heart so happy, and reminded me of my time up at Calvin Crest. I will miss the fun experiences up at Calvin Crest and the memories we made. 

For more about Calvin Crest, read the article written by Brown and Rurik last year COLUMN: Calvin Crest counselors muse over 2nd-year experience. For more articles, read Leadership strives to set example, encourage others.

Andrew Rieker can be reached via email and Kamryn Schultz can be reach via email and Twitter.