Editorial: Developing heroic behavior

FC Football won the 2016 CIF, Central Section 8-man Valley Championship. (Ayers far right)

Heroes are developed, not born

Catching the game-winning touchdown. Thwarting a terrorist plot. Rescuing a child trapped in an inflamed building. All examples exemplify a heroic action. Seldom does one find themselves staring into Friday night lights during a championship game, near a burning building or a terrorist attack.

Heroes emerge from crowds, stepping up as nameless citizens, ready to sacrifice for their neighbor. An opportunity for a heroic act may never come in a person’s life, but one must prepare their character and resolve for a situation regardless.

While “everyone is a hero” is a popular phrase teachers and speakers tell their students, this is not the case. However, each individual has the capacity of for heroic behavior through purposeful action.

[/media-credit] Hero’s make personal sacrifices for those around them.

Heroes number in the few, but leave lasting impact on the lives of those around them. Heroes inspire action, and encourage others to take a stand. They are willing to, without a doubt, sacrifice their life for the other man. They lay down on the wire so others can crawl across.

Heroism develops over time in small, incremental action. Heroism begins with kindness, compassion and generosity. Events like Random Acts of Kindness, Feb. 17, encourage students to engage in kind gestures to other people that sow the seeds heroic characteristics.

After the seeds of heroic behavior are planted, they must be sown and nurtured. Grassroot organization Kids on A Mission began after Kaitlin Riffel, ‘18, visited a homeless shelter and decided to begin a teen-led, non-profit program to provide clean water and backpacks for school-age kids.

Many small events lead to large events in life. People make decisions each day on how to act towards other people. Those small daily decisions build habits that interpret how they react in a dangerous or dire situation.

The campus elementary Buddy program present opportunities for sixth graders to mentor TK and kindergarten students. Mentorship requires compassion and sacrifice of time. FC presents opportunities for students to begin developing a heroic mindset.

Develop yourself now, into the hero you want to be tomorrow.

For more editorials, read EDITORIAL: Benefits of struggling together. For more articles, read BREAKING: PSAT provides preparation for the SAT.