RE/MAX balloon floats Feather journalists over ClovisFest

Magic Bob pilots annual media fun fly over Clovis

[/media-credit] The 44th annual ClovisFest begins a day early as several hot air balloons lift off during media day, Oct. 26. These and five other balloons also flew, Oct. 27-28.

Bright patterns, hot flames, and excited first time hot air balloon riders filled the Old Town Clovis Rodeo Grounds for ClovisFest, Oct. 27-28. The few fortunate onlookers invited for a ride on the huge balloons saw a glimpse of Fresno from a birds eye few. Onlookers stared in awe as the balloons lifted into the chilly morning sky. 

For Feather journalist Annaleise Anderson and videographer Blake Deffenbacher, a dream became reality and fears were overcome when the local RE/MAX  balloon crew, RE/MAX corporation and RE/MAXgold offered the two staffers a ride on their corporate balloon during media day, Oct. 26. 

The day before ClovisFest weekend a few balloonatics hosted a media day specifically for local news and journalists. Media day provides the opportunity to interview a few of the best balloonist and experience a piece of their passion in a more hands-on approach. 

Bob Locklin, commonly known as “Magic Bob”, now a pilot of over 21 years, grew up as a flight enthusiast. He started with hitchhiking his way onto private flights, and began his own flying adventure with a parasailing trip. 

“When I was a kid, 13 – 14 years old, I would go out to the airport and see pilots walking out to their planes,” Locklin said. “I’d ask where they were going and if I could come along. In college my first major was aeronautics and I started learning to fly fixed wing airplanes. Life happened and I had to give that up as I started a family. At 28 years old, I went parasailing for the first time and it reminded me what I loved about flying.”

Senior Annaleise Anderson interviews balloon pilot Bob Locklin in the following podcast.

For every hot air balloon first timer, lift off makes for a new and exciting rush. Riders lift into the air with a scorching flame just above their head, conveniently keeping them warm in the chilly morning sky. Within seconds the balloon lifts above the tilted heads of the crowd, rising into the bright morning sky. Half a minute later they sail above trees, buildings and stare out over the dusty skyline of Fresno.

During the Feather staffers’ ride, Magic Bob recounted some of his most interesting stories from his time as a balloon meister. Bob told of emergency landings in manure piles, multiple in-basket proposals, and fishing from balloons on a lake. Hearing his stories, while floating over Fresno from the unique birds eye view perspective provided an eye opening experience for both staffers involved.

Just before the final go ahead for lift-off, the hot air balloon pilots and staff meet for a briefing in the podcast below.

Magic Bob reveal how one simple birthday adventure sent him down the rode to many new and exciting experiences, each leading up to his development for a lifelong passion in hot air ballooning.   

“I’ve been in helicopters, aerobatic airplanes, all sorts of things,” Locklin said. “In May of 1997, I took my first hot air balloon ride and then my second flight the very next day on Mothers Day. By the end of the year, I had my student pilot’s license, a year later my own balloon, and privates pilot’s license all leading up to my commercial license just under three years after my first flight.”

[/media-credit] Hot air balloon pilot Bob Locklin fills the RE/MAX balloon, during media day, Oct. 26.

Although hot air ballooning can be an expensive sport, it’s not an exclusive one. Locklin says it’s just like buying a car; it’s all about how much you’re willing to invest. According to Locklin, anyone can receive their student pilot’s license within a year if they have the right determination and ballooning connections.

David Wakefield, primary pilot of 19 years and program manager of both the RE/MAX corporate balloon and the Valley Children’s CHEERS balloon, shares about his favorite experiences in hot air ballooning. 

“I have balloon friends all over the world,” Wakefield said, “people I’ve met by going to big balloon festivals in both Colorado Springs and Reno. You meet these people and become friends, and I’ve even stayed in touch with them.

“Another fun small event we do usually in July is held up in Prosser Reservoir,” Wakefield continued. “We get a whole bunch of balloons and fly off the boat ramp around the lake, in the hills, watching eagles and people fishing who often get mad when we land in the lake.”

Richard Locklin, brother of Magic Bob, discusses how he was quickly drafted into hot air balloon crewing team for his brother. He continues to spell out exactly why he stayed and his favorite memory and part of the job.

“My brother needed help crewing in 1997 and I’ve been with him ever since,” Richard said. “My favorite part of the job is getting to be apart of someone’s first experience with a balloon and seeing the joy it brings them. Dawn patrol up at the Reno Balloon Race was by far my favorite memory in the air; many balloons go up in the dark, twinkling in the sky like a bunch of lanterns, it was really beautiful.”

One of the biggest priorities for pilots is safety. Before liftoff on every flight, all pilots meet for a weather briefing to fully prepare. After the briefing, they release a small helium filled balloon into the air to double check the direction of the winds that will soon be carrying them along.

The following video was filmed and produced by junior Blake Deffenbacher after the ClovisFest media day, Oct. 26.

The Feather would like to thank RE/MAX, Bob Locklin, and David Wakefield for the opportunity to learn from them and their teams as well as experience hot air ballooning for the first time.

For more information on ClovisFest, visit the Clovis Chamber website for press releases, contact information, details on the annual event, photos, links to ClovisFest on Facebook and more.

The slideshow below created by Blake Deffenbacher contains pictures from their flight.

This author can be reached via email and Twitter

For more about Clovis Fest see Breaking; 44TH annual Clovis Fest Oct. 27-28 and California water restrictions impact central valley agriculture .

Feather staffers ride in Remax hot air balloon: