COLUMN: From The Principal’s Desk – December 2018

[/media-credit] In her fifth year as high school principal, Amy Deffenbacher says joy is a choice during the Christmas season.

It is officially the Christmas season and one of the most notable things for me is the music that we listen to, sing along with, and share with one another.

It struck me this past week how many fruits of the spirit are represented in the songs of Christmas. We find the fruits of the spirit in Galatians 5:22-23 (NLT) and the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives:

“(22) … Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness, and self-control. …”

Joy to the World, Sleep in Heavenly Peace, O Come All Faithful … we sing them so easily and yet, do we believe those things for ourselves in this season that can often be overwhelming?

If you know my story, you have heard me say that joy is a choice. Every day I must choose joy. Because of the way God wired me, because of life, I have to work just a little bit harder at looking on the bright side.

Why do I choose joy? Because of love. Love came down from heaven at Christmas in the form of a Savior who does for us what we cannot do for ourselves. Because of this love, I not only have joy, but I can have peace and patience and kindness and goodness and faithfulness and gentleness and self-control.

If you know my story, you have heard me say that joy is a choice. Every day I must choose joy. — Principal Amy Deffenbacher

This Christmas season, I continue to choose joy and will sing “Joy To The World” with extra anticipation in my heart. What song will your heart sing as you celebrate the Savior’s birth?

Merry Christmas to you from the principal’s desk. May it truly be a fruitful holiday season for you and your families. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your lives.

For more Feather articles, read Join The Discussion: Christmas gifts, favorite momentsPROMO: ‘A Suite of Sweets’ highlights band’s performance abilities and Stuffed animal drive to benefit Valley Children’s Hospital.