Class of ’19 heading to college in 6 states, 19 campuses

Seniors continue academic life throughout the country

Senior finals are over, the senior trip has passed and on May 23, 42 members from the class of 2019 will graduate. As they finish their time at FCS, each one opens up a new chapter in life, and for most, college textbooks.

All 42 members of the senior class responded to a poll about post-high school plans. One student plans on taking a gap year, but the remaining 41 will continue their studies in college.

Fresno Christian by Sam Cross

More than half of the class plan on continuing their studies in Fresno, and 79% will attend college in state. Clovis Community College is the most popular pick, with 16 graduates enrolled.

Reasons differ when picking a community college over a four-year university out of high school, including lower cost and proximity to home. For senior Megan Raynes, the benefit is a cheaper path to her career goal.

“Clovis Community is the best option for me because, as of right now, the career I want to pursue doesn’t really require me to go to a four year university,” Raynes said. “I want to study business administration because at some point I would like to open my own real estate business and I was told that Clovis Community would be the best option for me.”

FCS students will represent in each of Fresno’s four colleges. Alina Davila, ’19, plans on following in her sister’s footsteps and will study at Fresno State. While undecided on her major, Davila hopes to work towards a career working with kids.

“I don’t know my major but I know I want to be with kids, whether its medical or liberal studies,” Davila said. “I have a passion and love for kids and I want to help.”

While Davila is not the only undecided student, the majority of the senior class has declared a major. Business administration ranks as the top choice, followed by computer science.

[/media-credit] Jacob Scully dribbling and looking for a pass during a home soccer game, Jan. 9, 2019. Scully will continue playing soccer at Gordon College in Massachusetts.

Nine students plan on becoming student athletes, representing eight different sports. Levi Sumbela, ’19, attending Grand Canyon University and Jacob Scully, ’19, will play soccer. Scully shares his excitement for studying at Gordon College in Massachusetts.

“I am very excited to be attending Gordon College because of the many things it has to offer,” Scully said. “It is a Christian school with a beautiful campus, I love its location in the northeast, and I am excited to be playing soccer there as well. Besides playing soccer, I’m planning to focus primarily on my academics while in college.”

Like Scully, 14 other students will attend a Christian college, representing ten different campuses. Alex Rurik, ’19, will attend Westmont College in Santa Barbara, and says that picking a Christian university was not an automatic decision.

“Initially I wanted to do something other than a Christian college,” Rurik said. “I wanted a different experience. But I realized through the college search process the authenticity of the Westmont staff and students regarding their faith, and I was drawn in.”

Senior Kamryn Schultz, taking a gap year, plans to fill it by staying at Hume Lake’s Joshua Program. She says she plans on attending a Christian college afterwards, but looks forward to opportunities in the meantime.

“I actually knew no one doing the program and that was one thing that scared me, that I would have to make a bunch of new friends,” Schultz said. “But now I’m excited to meet new people and to just take a year off to get ready for college. This is probably the best thing for me because I didn’t really know exactly what I wanted to do in college, so this year will help me decide that and just prepare me for what I want to major in the following year.”

To help pay for the expenses of college, the 2019 senior class earned $2.1 million in scholarships. Whether in state or out of state, four-year or community, this graduating class is set to make an impact on the college campus.

For more articles, read Senior reflection: Kaylie Clem and COLUMN: Richie Cortez reflects on softball’s bounce-back season with Ellie Scully.

Bryce Foshee can be reached via Twitter @brycer_f and via email.