Nathan Case shares passion for teaching, influences students

New biology, zoology teacher speaks on trusting God through trials

[/media-credit] Nathan Case and his wife, Allie Case enjoy their time together at a family gathering.

Transferring from his previous position as a long-term junior high substitute, new biology and zoology teacher Nathan Case looks forward to the 2019-2020 school year. Stepping into his new role on campus, Case strives to influence each class in a positive and encouraging way.

During his time in college, Case received an academic scholarship with a baseball scholarship at the end of his freshman year. He accepted the scholarships and followed up the next year at Fresno Pacific University.

“I really wanted to play baseball in college,” Case said. “At the end of my senior year in high school, I had no idea of where I wanted to go to school and where I was going to play. I really had to lean on the Lord because I didn’t have any offers and nobody was looking at me.”

Trusting in God, Case’s path became clear when God opened a way for him to stay FPU for the next year, despite the odds against him.

“I got called into the coach’s office after we had fall practice, Case said. “He recognized my work ethic and he recognized the part I could play on the team. He called me in and he offered me the exact money to live on campus and to make it possible to stay at FPU. He had no idea what I needed to do or the situation at hand, but it was God’s perfect timing.”

The following podcast features Kyler Garza interviewing Nathan Case about his journey through college and how he began working at Fresno Christian.

After four years in college, Case decided to pursue teaching science and finish his credentials at Grand Canyon University online.

“I decided I wanted to become a teacher,” Case said. “So right now I am currently taking classes and finishing my credential and masters through Grand Canyon University.”

[/media-credit] Case recently got married this summer, June 8th.

He learned about Fresno Christian through former FC teacher Amy Friesen. His interest was sparked by the substitute position for Terry Richard’s class.

“I found out about Fresno Christian through a few people,” Case said. “One person in particular, Amy Friesen, told me about it. I was looking for a substitute opportunity last year and Amy sent me an email; we talked about the possibility of me being the long-term sub for Mr. Richards.

“It’s going to be a super fun year,” Case continued. “I’m really excited and looking forward for the rest of this year. We have a bunch of labs in my science classes, and I’m also going to be doing some coaching this year. I’ll coach baseball in the spring so that will be a lot of fun.”

Case found an interest in science at the end of high school when he learned about anatomy and physiology.

“I studied exercise physiology which is like physical therapy,” Case said. “It was in the science realm when I also learned about anatomy, physiology and biology at the end of high school.”

In the following tweet, Case’s fifth period zoology class takes a closer look at onion roots with a microscope.

Case encourages students who plan to go to college to not be afraid to involve themselves around campus, and to make sure to take a break and enjoy their time.

“Get involved on campus,” Case said. “It is more fun this way! Make time for Christ, meet people in your classes, study hard and enjoy the late night food runs.”

When he is not teaching, Case can be found assistant coaching the high school boys baseball team. Some of Case’s favorite movies include Remember the Titans, Nacho Libre and Miracle. His favorite genres of music consists of country and Christian music.

If you see Case in the hallway or out on the field, make sure to say hi and congratulate him on his recent marriage!

Kyler Garza can be reached via email.

For more articles read, COLUMN: Growth in Costa Rica, or BLOG: Amateur rocketry reaches for the skies.