Caruthers Fair: Celebrating 90-year traditions

Valley fair entices visitors through attractions

[/media-credit] Journalist Celeste Castañeda, ’21, interviews Chris Curtis, a performer at the Caruthers Fair.

Celebrating its 90th year, the Caruthers Fair remains the largest free-admission fair in the California, Sept. 25-28. Running for four days, each night provides new opportunities to try out rides, booths and food. 

With shorter days and colder nights descending upon the valley, the Caruthers Fair hosts attendees riding rollercoasters and diving into a funnel cake.

The booths set up are all local and proceeds help benefit each organization. Schools like Riverdale and Washington High take advantage of the fair to help promote clubs at their school like CSF, band and color guard. Churches such as Riverdale Assembly of God, Monmouth Presbyterian Church, Caruthers Church of the Nazarene and others also participate by selling homemade food.

The fair offers rides for all ages. Israel Sanchez ‘20, helped run a maze at the fair for toddlers called Monkey Zoo. 

“I’m a senior at Caruthers High School and this is my first time working the fair,” Sanchez said. “I have been attending the fair since I was little. Being the 90th anniversary of the fair I’ve seen more people and crowds coming in. My favorite fair food to eat is the pulled pork sandwich. One of my childhood memories at the fair is enjoying the food while seeing the animals.”

Volunteers help uphold the fair’s reputation of being the biggest free gate fair. The main cash flow comes from local queen contestant candidates selling raffle tickets for a new car. Candidates also keep a percentage of the profit. The girl who sells the most tickets wins the title of fair queen. Akem Batth took home this year’s fair queen title. Other nominees included Holly Jones, Amaya Galvan, Abigail Santana, Sandra Figueroa, Violet Gaona, Joleen Summers and Jenifer Galvan.

Photo and art competition ribbon winners can be seen in the Chamber of Commerce building. Inside you can also find human connection booths. Based out of Tulare and Lemoore, one local business featured was Spice Above California. At Spice Above California, pre-packaged gourmet spices and dessert blends were mixed with mayo and sour cream to make dips to sample.

Instead of horse races, motocross races are offered. To attend, general stand admission tickets start at $8. Running for  37 years, this race is presented by the Fresno Motorcycle Club. Motorcycles, quads and karts are allowed in the race. The races are offered at night before sunset.

The following podcast features Jimmy Cummings expanding his views on the Caruthers Fair.

Entertainment is also offered aside from livestock and agriculture. Several bands perform at the fair, some consistently attending for many years.

For the last six years Chris Curtis and his band, “Chris Curtis and the Wild Horses” have been performing at the Caruthers fair. 

“I actually worked for the sheriff’s office for several years,” Curtis said, “the last ten years off-and-on we’ve played the Saturday night concert.” 

Behind all the fun are the 20 main directors of the Caruthers fair. Jimmy Cummings has been a member of the Caruthers district fair board for four years. Throughout the years, Cummings has seen many improvements in the Caruther’s Fair.

“I’ve seen the fair grow in a number of ways, each year we try to do different projects, “Cummings said. “One of the biggest projects I’ve been involved with is the building of the red barn.We had another large commercial building but it started to get old over time, so in one year we tore that old barn down and were able to build this new barn all off of community donations.”

[/media-credit] The biggest free-admissions fair in California, the Caruthers Fair opened for its 90th year.

Cummings is in charge of safety security and first aid for the fair.

“Each person on the board has a specific duty or task they are in charge of whether it’s entertainment, food booths, carnival or racing,” Cummings said. “What I do is coordinate with the ambulance drivers, the sheriff’s department and security staff to make sure we have adequate security for the fair.”

Another opportunity to attend a valley fair will be The Big Fresno Fair, Oct. 2-14. The Big Fresno Fair offers many attractions, concerts and competitions.  Admission is $12 for adults, $8 for seniors and children.

For last year’s article on the Caruthers Fair, read 89th Caruthers Fair: Big dreams in a small town. For last year’s article on The Big Fresno Fair, read Big Fresno Fair offers a multitude of exhibits, attractions. 

For more articles, read FC homecoming theme highlights board games, poses new challenge or Students engage first amendment rights through News Engagement Day, Oct. 1.

Faith Monroy can be reached via Twitter.

Celeste Castañeda can be reached via email.