BLOG: Style Session, No. 3, 2019-20 – Fashion to Frolic in the Foliage

Written by writer, editor and FCS mother Silva Emerian, Style Session is about fashion trends, style and Emerian’s connection with God. Published since 2015, Style Session returns to The Feather after a year-long hiatus. Style Session will be published bi-monthly and Emerian’s previous works can be viewed on her Feather author page. Emerian also runs her own personal blog, On My Shoebox and can be reached via email.

[/media-credit] Sweaters are a versatile spring-to-fall transition option for many outfits.

Autumn is my favorite season! I grew up in Boston where fall foliage is a BIG DEAL. People travel to New England from all over the world during this time of year to see the beautiful golden, orange and rust-colored leaves covering the landscape. It’s truly magical and it’s Fashion to Frolic in the Foliage time.

Fresno isn’t so bad in the fall, either. I mean, it’s nowhere near what I grew up with, but at least the leaves change color. It’s still very pretty and you feel that the seasons are changing.

It’s safe to say the weather is finally cooling off, too. It’ll be in the high 70s this week! I adore this exact weather. It’s not boiling hot anymore but it’s not so cold that it’s uncomfortable. It’s just cool enough for jeans, a light sweater and boots. Ah, my beloved boots. I’ve missed you.

As we shift from summer to fall, here are a few tips to transition your wardrobe as well.

Layer Up

Just because summer is over does not mean you have to leave your warm-weather clothes behind. The trick here is to add layers. Your favorite sundress can be worn in the fall – just pull on some tights and throw a denim jacket over it. You can even wear dressier shorts with textured tights, short boots and a bulky sweater. Throw a scarf over your favorite t-shirt or wear a blazer with your favorite cami. This will give your favorites a much longer shelf life throughout the year.

Expand Colors

Now is a great time to add deeper, bolder hues to your wardrobe. Colors that may have felt heavy in warmer weather will shine in the fall. Think about adding some pieces that are olive green, mustard, burgundy or even bright orange. You can always go small, like with socks or an accessory. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

[/media-credit] Leather often gives the wearer an edgier appearance while remaining adaptable for multiple clothing combinations.

Chunky Sweaters

I love a thick, warm, chunky sweater when the weather starts to cool off. You can keep it classic with jeans and sneakers, but there are so many other ways to wear one! Consider a corduroy skirt, a longer sweater over leggings with boots, or throw one on over that favorite sundress. Guys, you can wear chunky sweaters too, over jeans or corduroy pants.

Leather Love

You don’t have to be a biker to wear a motorcycle jacket. Leather is unbearable in the summer but this is the perfect time to pull out your favorite moto jacket or invest in a new one. It gives an edgier look and you’ll be surprised how versatile it can be. Gentlemen, if you like to dress up once in a while, a leather blazer looks amazing over black jeans and a light sweater. Take my word on this.

Boundless Boots

Everyone should own at least one pair of boots. They can be tall, short, cowboy, suede, leather, wedge, platform, stiletto or Docs. Boots go with everything and they’re the perfect footwear for this time of year. I love wearing boots with dresses, and I love to see guys with boots on because it really reflects personal style. For fall boots read.

[/media-credit] Published since 2015, Style Session returns to The Feather after author Silva Emerian’s year-long hiatus.

Makeup Mode

I’m not a huge advocate of wearing tons of makeup all the time; I prefer to let natural beauty shine. But if you like to play with makeup, this is the time to go a little deeper with your shades, especially on your lips, eyes and nails. I especially love metallics like champagne, copper and gold on eyes and anything shimmery and bold on nails. It’s a fun way to express yourself this season.

Just because the weather is changing doesn’t mean you have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe. Dig into your closet and find ways to keep wearing your favorites for a while longer. If you have any questions, comment below! Consider me your own personal stylist. Happy fall!

~ Silva

Silva Emerian is a city girl at heart, growing up in Boston before moving to California in 2001. With a long and varied background in fashion, she is a freelance writer and editor, a self-proclaimed word nerd, and mom to Silas (FCHS grade 9) and James (FCMS grade 6). Shoes and chocolate make her world go ‘round.

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email Silva Emerian at [email protected]. Read more from her at www.onmyshoebox.com.

For Emerian’s previous blog post, read BLOG: Style Session, No. 2, 2019-20 – Pumped Up Kicks.

For more articles, read COLUMN: Feather staffers reminisce summer 2019 missions trip or Aimee Castaneda displays passion through singing, performing.