PROMO: Campus hosts CSU application workshop for students, Oct. 23

Fresno State representatives to aid students in application process

[/media-credit] Fresno State freshman admission lead Maribel Olea, center rear, shares tips and information as seniors fill out their CSU applications, Oct. 23.

The upcoming California State University application workshop (CSU) is taking place, Oct. 23. This specific workshop will be the first opportunity on campus for seniors to apply to California State schools.

The application workshop will be held in the LMC during third through fifth period. During the workshop students will be walked through the applications for different California colleges by Fresno State representatives. The representatives will be answering questions about their campus and the other schools.

Third year academic advisor Evangelina Tello helps oversee this event alongside the Reps. Tello hopes to give students a one-on-one experience during the walk-through of the application process.

Representatives will help students by answering any questions and correcting any errors. Tello shares on the benefit of attending this event if students are planning to apply to a state school or somewhere else.

“This workshop is specifically for students who are interested in applying to a California college,” Tello said. “I always tell students life happens and to have this as an option even if they plan on taking a gap year or want to attend out-of-state. I believe this is very beneficial especially to the seniors who will be first time applicants. I want to make sure they feel comfortable.”

In the following podcast, junior Faith Monroy interviews Evangelina Tello on the bonuses of attending the workshop, along with advice for planning a student’s future.

Maribel Olea, freshman admission lead at Fresno State, encourages students to attend workshops regarding college applications. In her current position for a year, Olea believes it is beneficial for students to submit correct applications.

“We’re here to assist students in regards to completing the California State Application,” Olea said. “We assist because the application can be a little confusing for students. So to be able to assist for other CSUs, I think it’s beneficial to students in general. There are many benefits. It’s important for students to submit a correct application just because we would hate for a student to be denied when in reality they do meet the requirements.”

Unlike the community college application workshop, the CSU workshop only has one occurrence. Students who meet the A through G requirements are encouraged to attend. With more applicants applying to Fresno State, the grade point average has changed to 3.0 and above. Fresno State currently offers 63 majors with the most popular majors as business, agriculture and nursing.  

[/media-credit] During the workshop, seniors will be able to apply to different California state colleges with the aid of Fresno State College representatives.

Senior class representative Angel Ruelas is excited about the upcoming workshop. He plans to pursue a major in business management or business administration.

“I am interested in California State Universities,” Ruelas said. “I have heard about the CSU workshop and plan on attending. I am interested in colleges such as CSU Stanislaus, San Jose State and Fresno State. I think it is very resourceful to be able to have a representative come to Fresno Christian and help us so we don’t make any mistakes.”

For a list of upcoming college-related deadlines and dates, read Seniors: Applications, tests, deadlines. Oh my!

Evangelina Tello can be reached by appointment in the high school and junior high office or via email: [email protected]

For more articles, read Tips on Applying for College and Join the Discussion: College Fair 2019.

Faith Monroy can be reached via Twitter.