BREAKING: Four campus tennis girls advance to playoffs, Nov. 1

CIF Central Section North Area Individual Tournament this weekend

[/media-credit] Doubles partners, Hannah Villines, ’21, (center) and Sarah Smith, ’21, (right) are seeded No. 8 in the CIF Central Section North Area Individual Tournament, Nov. 1. Their first match starts at 3 p.m. on the Buchanan High School courts.

This year, Fresno Christian girls tennis qualified four players to the Individual CIF Central Section Valley playoffs which begin Nov. 1 at Buchanan High School.

Juniors Sarah Smith and Hannah Villines qualified as the West Sierra League doubles champions, Oct. 25, winning the tournament at Copper River. Seniors Jayna Roseno and Julia Cliff qualified by placing second and sixth, respectively, in singles from the West Sierra League the same day.

“Last year was the first year Hannah and I played together,” Smith said. “Bulldog (coach Daniel Jessing) gave me first choice who I would play with, and right away I chose Hannah. The chemistry between us is really good. We both know when we get in our heads and we both know how to get each other out of it. Playing together last year prepared us for this year. Coming in this year, I was pretty confident we were going to go far in doubles.”

The campus doubles team of Smith and Villines received a special honor by being seeded No. 8 in the North Area (which includes teams from the TRAC and CMAC leagues). Fresno Christian was the only non-Division I team to receive a ranking.

I’m so proud of how far we’ve come, and we’d love it if you would come out and support us at Buchanan High School! — Junior Hannah Villines

Roseno will compete in singles in the CIF Central Section North Area Individual Tournament in singles at Buchanan High at 1 p.m.

Led by coaches Daniel “Bulldog’ Jessing and Robert Foshee, the girls tennis team achieved the title of league champions for the first time since 2008. Foshee said he is very proud of the girls’ work ethic and is excited that they have represented Fresno Christian girls tennis well.

“Hannah and Sarah have gotten better and better since they began playing together last year,” Foshee said. “They have become one of the top doubles teams not only in Division V but in the whole Valley. Definitely one of the best in Fresno Christian history.”

Attaining the No. 1 seed last year, Roseno shares her excitement for the upcoming game and this year’s team.

[/media-credit] Senior Jayna Roseno will play in the CIF Central Section North Area Individuals tournament in singles play at 1 p.m., Nov. 1.

“There have been a lot of changes during this tennis season,” Roseno said. “Overall, the players on the team have put in several hours, on and off the Fresno Christian courts, to make this successful year possible. I am honored to be apart of the CIF Central Section North Area individual tournament. I feel that simply attending will better my game. I am excited to see how far I go and to cheer on my fellow teammates in the process!”

Make plans to watch Roseno and Cliff in singles and the duo of Smith/Villines continue girls tennis playoff action at Buchanan High School, Nov. 1.

“I’m so proud of how far we’ve come,” Villines said, “and we’d love it if you would come out and support us at Buchanan High School!”

Roseno’s match against Ellie Luchini of San Joaquin Memorial starts at 1 p.m. while Cliff takes on the No. 7 seed, Mary Topoozian of Bullard. Smith and Villines have a first round bye then take on the Dos Palos/Reedley winner at 3 p.m.

For more tennis coverage, read Top campus tennis players compete, lead team toward Valley title and Girls tennis box scores 2019.

For more articles, read Freshmen invest time in after-school hobbies and PROMO: Campus chamber choir attends Westmont Choral Festival, Nov. 1.