Operation Christmas Child inspires community, prompts schoolwide giving

Annual shoebox drive unites campus in hopes to support impoverished children

[/media-credit] American Heritage Girls Troop participate in packing shoeboxes for young boys and girls. Boxes are filled with care items and toys.

November opens up the opportunity for giving back to others in need. One chance to help others is Operation Christmas Child, a non profit organization under Samaritan’s Purse.

People all around America pack shoeboxes filled with various toys and supplies and send them throughout the world to kids in impoverished communities. 

Operation Christmas Child, founded in 1990 by David and Gill Cooke, started with 17 volunteers and grew to over a thousand. Throughout the year these volunteers help send over 168 million shoeboxes overseas. This year, the high school leadership team committed to making 30 boxes and the campus serve club committed to 16 boxes.

Kailey Lanier, marketing director at a Chick-Fil-A in Fresno, shares on the importance of packing a shoebox.

“I have packed a shoebox in the past,” Lanier said. “Every year as a family we pack shoeboxes. I love being able to teach my daughter about giving and watch her pick items for the box. It is also fun to track our shoebox and see where it is being sent. My favorite thing about the organization is that they are giving and spreading the joy of Christmas all over the world to those in need.”

In the following tweet, Edward Graham shares on the experience of the good news coming to La Laguna, Mexico through Operation Christmas Child.

Alexis Baker, ’21, packed shoeboxes with family this year. Baker shares on how it feels to be a small difference in the world.

“I help pack over ten shoeboxes,” Baker said. “We started packaging cause in my family giving to others is a big deal and very important to us. We generally buy for kids around ten-years-old. Our goal for this year is just to do more then the last, like every year, just keep doing more then before.”

[/media-credit] Hygiene products, school supplies and toys are some the recommended items to pack in shoeboxes.

Local Churches such as New Hope community church, Riverpark and Clovis Hills will be hosting packing parties for filling shoeboxes. The Chick-Fil-A on Blackstone and Nees will serve as a location to collect shoeboxes, Nov. 18-25. For every shoe box guests bring in, the guests receive a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich coupon.

Avery Walters, ’22, also packs shoeboxes with his family. Walters shares on getting to be apart of the bigger picture Operation Christmas Child plays.

“We packed two last year,” Walters said. “I pack boxes with my family. Five to eight is my favorite age group to pack boxes for. I think it’s awesome that we’re sending gifts to children that rarely get gifts. I’ve seen videos of the kids opening the boxes and they look really happy. It’s cool to be a part of that. It’s also cool that they come with a lesson about Jesus in the kids’ own language.

In the following podcast, Faith Monroy interviews Michelle Blackburn about the impact of Operation Christmas Child. Blackburn is an FCS first grade teacher and advisor of the campus chapter of the American Heritage Girls Troop.

The final collection day at Fresno Christian is Nov 15. This year’s goal is to pack over 550 shoeboxes. On Nov. 15, leadership will assist volunteers in loading vehicles with the total of collected boxes. Boxes can be turned into the elementary office with Lisa Dooley or the high school office with Michelle Logan.

For a video article on the 2018 OCC collection, read Operation Christmas Child: More than a shoebox.

The following video made by Wesley Hinton, ‘20, shows what to include in the shoe box packed along with a brief history of the organization.

For more articles, read ID requirements change, Americans apply for REAL ID or Freshmen invest time in after-school hobbies

Faith Monroy can be reached via Twitter.