Style Session No. 6, 2019-20 – Party Clothes and Baby Burritos

Silva Emerian shares importance of remembering Jesus’ sacrifice

Written by writer, editor and FCS mother Silva Emerian, Style Session is about fashion trends, style and Emerian’s connection with God. Published since 2015, Style Session returns to The Feather after a year-long hiatus. Style Session will be published bi-monthly and Emerian’s previous works can be viewed on her Feather author page. Emerian also runs her own personal blog, On My Shoebox and can be reached via email.

[/media-credit] There’s really nothing more eye-catching than a bold red party dress. Winter white is fabulous, too! And you’ve got to have a little shine, so don’t be afraid of metallics.

I’m one of those people who cannot (will not) think about Christmas before Thanksgiving. Not one Christmas carol. No shopping. I’m not having any of it until I finish my mashed potatoes. (No turkey for this vegetarian.)

Now that the leftovers are gone, I can shift my attention to the Christmas season. Our tree is up, a wreath is hanging on the front door, and Christmas music is on in the car.

As if things aren’t busy enough, invitations to Christmas parties and gatherings have started arriving. Once we decide which events we’ll attend as a family, my thoughts naturally turn to what I’ll wear.

I love dressing up, so any occasion to don a dress and high heels is welcome. I try not to wear too much red or green this season because, duh, it’s a little obvious. Although there’s really nothing more eye-catching than a bold red party dress. I also love winter white! And you’ve got to have a little shine, so don’t be afraid of metallics! But I digress.

As I was thinking about party dresses, fur coats (obviously, since the weather is below 55 degrees already) and stilettos, I thought about a different type of clothing: swaddling cloths.

Have you ever seen a swaddled baby? It’s when you wrap a newborn baby in a blanket – as tight as a burrito. It’s the cutest thing and it’s supposed to mimic how they were in the womb. It helps them feel safe and secure and cozy and warm, and keeps them from flailing their arms and legs. My kids were like little Houdinis – they would always manage to somehow get an arm out of their swaddle!

In Luke 2:7, the good doctor writes that Mary “gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.”

The angel of the Lord who appeared to the poor, pathetic shepherds in the fields echoed the same:  “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” (Luke 2:10-12)

It is significant that Jesus was wrapped in swaddling cloths, like all babies in the Middle East would have been at that time. Like all babies… Jesus, the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace – came to earth just like all babies. Just like one of us.

The following video from BabyCenter features techniques for swaddling babies.

He didn’t come in a majestic purple velvet robe. He didn’t come bedecked in jewels. He didn’t run down from heaven with the original Air Jordans on His holy feet.

Jesus came with ultimate humiliation. He left His glory and appeared to us as a helpless baby, wrapped in strips of cloth like any other baby. Only He wasn’t any other baby.

Because 33 years later, strips of cloth would be wrapped around His lifeless body, taken down from the cross all bloodied and torn.

[/media-credit] It is significant that Jesus was wrapped in swaddling cloths, like all babies in the Middle East would have been at that time.

Thank God (literally, take a moment to thank Him right now) that Jesus came, died, but did not stay dead – He arose and He is alive! And His work on that piece of wood saves us for all eternity.

That is why we celebrate Christmas. Not to attend parties and look fabulous and open presents. Whatever is (or isn’t) under your tree on December 25, you still received the absolute top gift you could ever receive if you have Jesus in your heart and life.

Merry Christmas!

~ Silva

Silva Emerian is a city girl at heart, growing up in Boston before moving to California in 2001. With a long and varied background in fashion, she is a freelance writer and editor, a self-proclaimed word nerd, and mom to Silas (FCHS grade 9) and James (FCMS grade 6). Shoes and chocolate make her world go ‘round.

If you have questions or topics you’d like to see addressed in this blog, please email me at [email protected]. You can read more from me at www.onmyshoebox.com.

For Emerian’s previous blog post, check out Style Session, No. 5, 2019-20 – Cramped Closets and Nothing to Wear.

For more articles, read COLUMN: Cultural differences, teen struggles shape international student or California wildfires devastate communities, impact Sebastopol resident.