Elementary students participate in Apex Fun Run, raise funds for school

Over 150 students run laps to earn money for campus needs

[/media-credit] Apex Fun Run leader Java Jesse hands out prizes to students who answer trivia questions correctly, Jan. 13.

Elementary students, parents and staff gear up to participate in the fifth annual Apex Fun Run, Jan. 16. Taking place in the FC gym, students receive a special shirt to put on which marks the number of laps they have completed.

Over 150 students will run the race and acquire money for the school. The race is split into four different times; kindergarten at 8:45 a.m., 1st-2nd grade at 9:30 a.m., 3rd grade at 10:15 a.m. and 4th-5th grade at 11 a.m.

The Apex team recommends getting a full eight hours of sleep, wearing running shoes and bringing a water bottle to stay hydrated.

FC continues to raise money to help offset the cost of extracurricular programs like P.E. and music, as well as school events such as EagleFest and refreshments provided at Open House.

Apex Fun Run leader Java Jesse, working with the Apex team for about three years, explains some of the activities he participates in with the kids each day leading up to the race.

“We do certain activities with the classes depending on the day,” Jesse said. “Or sometimes we will do like a trivia party, I love trivia so I’ll go in and bring in a bunch of prizes and then I will ask them trivia questions and the kids will earn extra prizes if they can answer them.”

With each activity, students earn prizes for completing each task they are given or each question they answer. The prizes change every year and range from a wristband to a karaoke microphone.

Shane Phillips interviews Apex leader Java Jesse about his thoughts on the upcoming FC Apex Fun Run.

Second grade teacher Mikayla Williams shares her view on the group of kids coming together and using teamwork to raise money for their school.

“I think it’s good for the kids to come together as a school and have an opportunity to work together to raise money,” Williams said. “The Apex guys come in and teach the kids different ways they can be a good team member and that really translates into how they are in class as well, like yesterday they talked about teamwork and already I see today that there using what they learn in class.”

[/media-credit] Jesse teach students a lesson on how to build character and how to appreciate the contributions of others.

As the Fun Run draws near, students look forward to seeing how many prizes they can win. Layla Wilson, ’29, has not yet received any prizes, but she has participated in class activities.

“I am most looking forward to seeing how much prizes we can all win because I don’t really know all of them,” Wilson said. “I haven’t gotten any prizes myself but maybe I will get some. Our class won the pie in the face and on Wednesday we get extra recess.”

On average, each student raises about $125, according to the FC elementary staff. Last year, FC exceeded their goal.

After the Apex Fun Run concludes, the next big campus fundraiser will be the annual FC auction, March 14. But until then, parents or grandparents hoping to support their child in the fun run may do so in the FC gym.

For another article, read Heirloom excites with farm-driven concept, disappoints with flavor and COLUMN: Vietnam is more than a war.

Shane Philips can be reached via email.