Newsies highlights First Amendment rights, students promote five freedoms

Drama, campus students practice freedom of speech, Feb. 27-29

[/media-credit] The Newsies broadway musical sheds light on a true historical movement in the late 1800’s. Through character influence, the production engulfs the audience in a series of empowering musical numbers.

Unsanitary tenement housing, overpopulation and political corruption swept over New York City like a disease in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Amidst civilian cries for justice, numerous basic human rights in America suffered hierarchical abuse, one being the First Amendment right to speak freely and freedom of the press.

Though ratified in 1791, the First Amendment endured foul play regarding freedom of speech over a century later in a movement known as the Newsboys’ strike of 1899. The event went down in history as one of the most influential strikes in America, initiated by a group of orphaned and runaway children in NYC.

The campus drama production of Disney’s Newsies, The Broadway Musical, Feb. 27-29, is a great way to showcase Scholastic Journalism Week‘s #Press4Education Feb. 27 theme during the “Big Questions, Big Results” week, Feb. 24-28.

The original Broadway hit musical “Newsies” pays tribute to this historical movement as well as the individuals who started it all. The “Newsies” performance brings history to life by adding musical numbers and character depth.

“Newsies, the Broadway musical speaks strongly to several of the first five freedoms, in particular freedom of speech and the freedom of the press,” director Megan Conner said. “The Newsies’ voices (their ability to share their thoughts and beliefs) are silenced because they have no ability to have their message published by the media of the day.”
Conner went on to say that any information pertaining to their strike, and their message in general, was banned for publication by Joesph Pulitzer even if the reporters wrote for other newspapers in town. Through this ban Pulitzer not only silenced the Newsies, but the freedoms of reporters who are granted the right to communicate truth to readers by the Bill of Rights.
“I think it is important for students to see Newsies to understand student rights, in particular the rights of our youth,” Conner continued, “because the show addresses the rights of all Americans to have a voice. The show shines a light on many voices that were silenced during this era, child laborers, low-level laborers, youth, women, etc. The message of Newsies should inspire us all to speak up for what we believe in, and to look beyond ourselves to those who fall away forgotten by society.”

The production tells the story of a group of under-payed, poverty-stricken newsboys who resort to buying and selling newspapers in order to survive on the streets of NYC.

In the following podcast, junior Jewel Chandler interviews David Tuck, ’22, about his role as Joseph Pulitzer in Newsies.

As the Newsies withstand the daily routine of newspaper vending, greed brews in the minds of Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst, city newspaper publishers who made their dime off the backs of pauperized youth. The play follows the journey of the Newsies as they struggle to maintain their livelihood under Pulitzer’s suppressive gaze.

After months of hard work, the Fresno Christian drama team Spotlight Productions brings this musical to life. The production not only attempts to establish high quality entertainment, but also provides insight on the historical events that occurred during the time period. The sold out campus production of Newsies under the direction of Megan Connor will run Feb. 27-29 in the SMC.

[/media-credit] Feather staff and leadership students sell Fresno Bee Kids Day newspapers on street corners, March 5, 2019. They will sell special edition Kids Day papers March 10, 2020.

Sophomore David Tuck portrays Joseph Pulitzer in the school production. Tuck enjoys the art of storytelling through the lens and mindset of a fictional yet historical character.

“I think the story of Newsies is very important as a historical piece of awareness,” Tuck said. “There was child labor happening and other things going unnoticed by the press. Telling the stories of Newsies brings awareness to those things and how we cannot return to them because of how bad they were.”

As both Hearst and Pulitzer collect profit from their newspaper sellers, they conspire to raise the prices from 50 to 60 cents per sale. This Newsies are forced out of their jobs as they can no longer afford the spiked costs of the papers.

While these monopolists swept their workers’ welfare under the printing press, their conduct would not stop the Newsies from rising up against the corruption that infected the media. The Newsies’ passion for justice led to a strike for fair wages and improved working conditions.

While the drama team raises understanding of the importance of free speech through performing arts, students carry their freedoms into their lives on campus.

Sophomore and US history student Madi Bryant reflects on the true meaning of free speech in the lives of students across America. Bryant recognizes 1 Timothy 4:12 when discussing how free speech plays out in the lives of adults and students nationwide.

[/media-credit] The Newsies Strike went down in history as one of the most influential strikes in America, initiated by a group of orphaned and runaway children in NYC.

“Every day I get the right to speak my own opinion in a conversation without the fear of someone telling me I can’t have my own point of view,” Bryant said. “Free speech opens up a way to express one’s thoughts without the fear of judgement. I believe that students are to set an example in speech and have the same rights to free speech as any adult.’

As students exercise their rights to free speech on campus, local news reporters take this liberty to a city-wide platform. Radio host of Power Talk 96.7 Trevor Carey advocates for the First Amendment while displaying his views on a public platform as he puts civilized debate into practice.

“Without the ability to speak our mind, heart, body, and soul, as guaranteed in the First Amendment, it would make it hard to preach a sermon, or difficult to protest a sermon,” Carey said. “On occasion, a person who disagrees with my views will call the show and let me have it, but most of the time those that disagree are civil in their counter-opinions.”

As Americans view the lack of verbal censorship as a basic human right, people in other regions of the world dream to openly express their opinions. Standing on the foundations laid by newsboy strikes and unions, students today strive to promote the freedom of speech worldwide through journalism, sit-ins and speeches.

In the following tweet, Student Press Law Center shares a story of students at Ellenville High School practicing their freedom of press after the shutdown of their campus newspaper.

For more on the campus Newsies, The Broadway Musical production, read Spotlight Productions: Newsies musical open call campus auditions, Newsies tap rehearsal, Oct. 28, and Newsies sells out!

Disney’s Newsies, The Broadway Musical is based on the Disney film written by Bob Tzudiker and Noni and originally produced on Broadway by Disney Theatrical Productions. The original music is by Alan Menken, lyrics by Jack Feldman and book by Harvey Fierstein. This show is Licensed through Musical Theatre International.

The video below is a recap of the Newsies performance, Feb. 27, 2020.

Want to learn more about organizations supporting free speech and press among today’s youth? Check out Student Press Law Center.

For more article, check out COLUMN: Chinese international student talks press for education or How then shall I live: Setting a standard.

Jewel Chandler can be reached via email and Twitter.

Director Megan Conner and campus drama production showcases, Newsies, The Broadway Musical, Feb. 27-29.