COLUMN: Online platforms, teachers, community powers FCS connections

Principal Amy Deffenbacher praises education lifeblood

[/media-credit] Elementary principal Katie Reneau (left to right), Superintendent Jeremy Brown and Principal Amy Deffenbacher work with the FC staff to transition students to online education.

My first year as principal at FCS was also the inaugural year for the BYOD (bring your own device) initiative, which had been in development by the previous administration. This is now our sixth year and never, before this COVID-19 crisis, have we made more prolific use of those devices and FCS connections.

Although we have had access to devices and online platforms (PowerSchool, Schoology, Google Classroom, Webex, The Feather Online, FaceTime, social media, email, texting…) for many years, they are now our lifeblood rather than an enhancement to education.

I am thankful for a staff that has gone above and beyond to accelerate their own rate of learning to become more skilled and creative at delivering information to our school community in this time of need.

I am thankful for students taking ownership of their learning, engaging with staff in new ways, encouraging one another and staying optimistic about their next steps.

I am thankful for families who continue to partner with us, hold students accountable and raise up the next generation with character and fortitude that is being refined by hardship. 

A common discussion in culture these days is whether or not all of our digital connection actually makes us less united. While I can see that to be the case when friends sit together at the lunch table but never look up from their devices, our ability to communicate with one another through these channels is truly a blessing in this time of social distancing.

[/media-credit] Principal Amy Deffenbacher spends time with her dog as she transitions to an at-home work environment.

A distinctive feature of Fresno Christian Schools is COMMUNITY, and what an awesome display of community we’ve seen in many new ways in recent days.

The past three weeks have given me the opportunity to watch our teachers challenge themselves by using every resource at hand to reach students and families. By no means has it been seamless, but with tenacity and a commitment to keep trying we have responded to every new scenario.

I’m proud to continue to serve and lead our staff, students and families in new ways at FCS to keep us all connected. I look forward to seeing you all again.

For another Deffenbacher column, read COLUMN: Principal Amy Deffenbacher reflects, shares attributes of small school community. For another article, read Q & A: Class of 2020 lifers.