Senior Reflection: Logan Lewis

Senior thanks teachers, remembers memories from years in high school

[/media-credit] Currently a senior preparing to graduate, Logan Lewis originally joined The Feather as a sophomore.

As I reflected on my time at Fresno Christian, I have realized that the community has influenced me in so many positive ways, shaping me into the person I am today. I am incredibly thankful for all the faculty and students for pouring into me for 12 years.

I joined The Feather my sophomore year, after being persuaded by my friends who had a positive experience. I knew exactly what I wanted to do going in, which was manage the Twitter account and write album reviews. These were two things I was passionate about, and saw an opportunity to make my voice heard on these subjects.

I was thrusted into the gauntlet immediately, and I had my first article assignment. It was definitely important, one that would not be typically given as a first article. I was told to interview Trevor Morgan, the new worship pastor at CrossCity, and former member of Third Day. The Feather’s adviser Greg Stobbe saw my potential, and believed in me from the beginning.

Since then, I have written over 50 articles in my three years with The Feather, hosted FC Underground for two years, as well as managed The Feather’s Twitter account.

Tweeting was my favorite part of working with The Feather. Although it was the most demanding and challenging, I felt it was worth the reward. I would spend all night tweeting sports scores, tracking down photos and highlight videos. I realized it was worth it when our athletes were getting retweets from verified local sports reporters such as PAGMETER, Stephen Hicks, and Nick King.

Twitter took me many places, and I got to interview many important people. The best place it took me was a classroom in Anaheim, at the 2019 NHSJC conference. I got to teach a classroom full of fellow journalists and publications advisers from all over the world. The following tweet features a picture from that event.

As I reflect on my journey with The Feather, I have many precious memories that I treasure greatly. I will never forget our legendary staff parties, dance breaks and countless inside jokes.

[/media-credit] Logan Lewis, ’20, (right) felt that hosting FC Underground gave him a weekly opportunity to practice talking to a camera, something he plans to do for the rest of his life.

As my time as a Feather staff member comes to a close, there are many people I would like to thank. My advisers, Kori James (formerly Friesen), Greg Stobbe and Robert Hyatt. They have established an incredible reputation for this publication that will always be highly respected by its peers, and I’m honored to be on their team.

I would like to thank the alumni who came before me, specifically the class of 2019, who showed us what it means to be first-class journalists.

Kori James taught me to ask questions, and dive deeper into stories. Things are not always as they appear on the surface level, so discover the truth for yourself. I would like to thank her for seeing my potential early on, and always motivating me to be the best I can be.

Greg Stobbe is an incredible man and I admire him greatly. He oozes out wisdom like Yoda. If you listen to what Stobbe has to say, you will go many great places in life. I’m so thankful to have him as a mentor, and I can’t wait to eat one of his legendary meals one day.

Robert Hyatt is a genius. He is wise beyond his years, and you will learn this when talking with him. I can sit and debate music, technology, sports and life with him for weeks on end, and it would be absolutely delightful. Without his technological insight, The Feather never would have looked and operated as slick as it does.

The Feather has taught me countless lessons, but most importantly it has taught me to tell stories. There are countless stories out there; they just need someone to shine a light on them.

During my sophomore year, I believed journalism was my calling and I planned on majoring in it in college. I dreamed of being an anchor in a big city.

The following tweet features Logan Lewis during his visit to the ABC7 station during The Feather’s visit to Anaheim.

My encouragement to underclassmen is to never have fear to approach someone. In life, you will get many opportunities to talk to awesome people and build amazing relationships. If you are too nervous to talk to those people, you’ll miss out on what those friendships have to offer. By being a part of The Feather, I got to constantly approach random people to interview them.

At Fresno Christian, I’m very happy to have earned two championship rings, a 4.0 GPA, and through The Feather, a CSPA Digital News Silver Crown and NSPA Online Pacemaker award.

If you have the opportunity to join The Feather, do it. Although it may be challenging, the rewards are many.

Stay golden!

After graduating Fresno Christian, Lewis will attend Grand Canyon University in the fall of 2020 where he will major in Biblical Studies with a minor in Worship Ministries. Lewis will then further his education at Grand Canyon University, earning his Masters of Divinity.

For more senior reflections, read Senior Reflection: Thy Pham-Nguyen or Senior Reflection: Avery Jones.

For more Feather articles, read Book Review: Ghost Soldiers or Annabelle Messer overcomes injury, shows dedication to soccer.

Logan Lewis can be contacted via InstagramTwitter, and email.