Podcasting creates connections through universal challenges

Audio blogs help create community connections during isolation

It’s no secret that human interactions are a critical part of living a healthy life. Talking and relating with one another on a regular basis, is not only beneficial for mental health but also physical well-being. According to CDC studies, loneliness actually links to long term medical conditions.

In the wake of a pandemic when the most common forms of human connections are left inaccessible, the majority of people use technology to ward off the effects of isolation. In addition to the more popular ways to connect – like Zoom, FaceTime and other social media – one of the more overlooked relational methods is podcasting.

[/media-credit] Podcast hosts find ways to connect with audiences through storytelling. In 2017 about 40 percent of people listened to podcasts, in 2020 that percentage increased to 55 percent.

With many continuing their professions from home, podcasts have become a useful tool for listeners to acquire new skills, learn about current events and even relate with people they’ve never met.

Whether driving on a traffic-heavy day or doing chores around the house, current analysis proves the popularity of podcasting has risen by 15 percent since 2017 (according to convinceandconvert.com). Currently, podcasting joins in on the fight against social separation through relatable storytelling.  

As a consistent listener of the podcast Unsolicited Advice, senior Natalie Arndt recognizes the importance of transparent communication. The podcast features real stories from the audience seeking answers to their current situations from two youtube comedians: Ashley Nichole and Taryne Renee. Listeners of the podcast do not expect a perfect fact-based response to their situation, but rather one that would most likely come from a friend.

“I have been a listener of Unsolicited Advice since they started the podcast, so it’s been about two years,” Arndt said.  “They don’t give advice from a psychological perspective, it’s more about their experience in life and I think they’re the funniest podcasters I’ve listened to. Podcasting is different from music or television because it gets my mind thinking rather than just singing along to a song. I enjoy listening to different people’s stories.  Thats really what its about, it’s storytelling.”

According to podcastinsights.com, the general purpose for podcasting is to share messages through audio recordings and build a community of people with similar interests. Nearly everyone can find a podcast that fits their personal interests, from NASA space missions to true crime stories.

A quick search on Spotify is all it takes to discover the sea of options available for listeners. This idea rooting back to the early 1980s has developed into over a million podcasts worldwide, stringing along listeners which include over half the American population.

In the following tweet, popular podcaster Joe Rogan sits down with Elon Musk to discuss his brand and outer worldly life.

Those with experience in the world of podcasting are familiar with the struggles of starting up a new channel. FCS alumnus Caleb Nale, ’14, developed three of his own podcasts over the course of 2020, ranging from sports and comedy to community development. Nale experienced a variety of obstacles since podcasting, including consistency and setting himself apart from other talk show hosts.

“When it came to acquiring a steady audience it came to consistency, which I still struggle with,” Nale said.  “If you are a local podcast it is very important to get to know people in your community. As someone that comes from the agriculture business, the act of podcasting has helped me feel more comfortable in front of a hot mic and camera as well as improving my conversation skills.”

Nale attributes a lot of his inspiration to both of his grandfathers, who are known to tell captivating stories. His motivation to begin podcasting also stemmed from the limited understanding Central Valley residents have about their own area.

Hosting the Naledit podcast with his wife, Jasmine, the two meet with Central Valley locals to discuss their professions and educational topics about the community.

“The lack of knowledge the average person living in the Central Valley has about what goes on in the Central Valley is astounding,” Nale said. “Most people live in their bubbles, which is fine to an extent, but I wanted to break inside that bubble and add more knowledge and stories to it.”

In the following podcast, Feather journalist Jewel Chandler speaks with consumer Attorney Brian Kabateck about the importance of podcast.

As a main host of both political and law podcasts, consumer attorney Brian Kabateck shares some of the same family inspirations as Nale with his father working in the radio buisness. Kabateck uses podcasting as a tool to reach the community and form professional bonds with people of similar backgrounds. 

“When I was in collage, USC back in the very early 80s, I had an on air program on radio in Los Angeles,” Kabateck said. “When the podcast came out we were always looking for ways to reach our community and reach people we could get business with and wanted to connect with or just build up a reputation. We thought the podcast was a fairly inexpensive way to go.”

Though skilled in his career, Kabateck found podcasting as a way to gain more knowledge about his profession and current court cases. As podcasting is meant to relate people of similar interests, Kabateck’s Civil Action Podcast helped bring together members of the legal community. 

“I never know as much law as when I’m doing those podcasts. Most lawyers don’t actively read every case that comes out,” Kabateck said. “It also helps with networking, it helps with connecting with other lawyers, and people do listen. It’s surprising sometimes that we’ll get people to comment on it.” 

Many celebrities also joined in on the world of podcasting, stepping back from the spotlight and sharing their own challenges. Public figures like Jenna Fischer, Angela Kinsey and Emma Chamberlain reveal their unfiltered life experiences, creating a personal connection with fans.

In a time where isolation is easy to fall into, relating to one another motivates people to move forward instead of feeling alone in the struggles they endure. While podcasting is an efficient way for listeners to digest new information and for hosts to develop their own brand, this way of communication also spreads mutual bonds through universal struggles.

For more articles, check out COLUMN: Does social media limit free speech? or Pandemic affects teenage mental health.

Jewel Chandler can be reached via twitter and via email.