International student college admission journey fraught with obstacles

Vietnamese Tra Vo shares application process, pursuit of higher education, art dreams

This article is part of an upcoming three-part series by senior Phan (Amanda) Chau; she is covering the college admission process during the Covid-19 pandemic from international student perspectives. An integral part of many American universities, many international student stories often remain unrevealed. This is a testament to their perseverance and determination which fuels the journey to their next life chapter. 

[/media-credit] Senior Tra Vo has been focusing on creating art pieces since middle school in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

Her heart thumped. Her face grimaced. Her eyes darted over the rejection letter as she desperately sought the meaning of those words.

“The committee was forced to make some tough decisions” – Am I not good enough?

“The process was extremely competitive.” – What did I do wrong?

“We wish you every success in the future.” – How do I ever move on from this?

These thoughts fogged her mind. After a year of disproportionate impact, the coronavirus pandemic turned the college admissions process into some sort of Russian roulette in its nature; the mentality of success, nurtured only by a stellar academic record, proves false as colleges seek exceptional candidates among the surge this year – those that possess both intellectual and desirable traits.

The test-optional policy opened the floodgate, where selective universities like Harvard and Colgate saw an increase of 42 percent and 102 percent in applications, respectively, leaving students to navigate their ways in this historically competitive time. 

The upcoming April 6, or Ivy Day, is when the Ivy League schools release their admissions, marking the end of yet another admission year. Triumphant cheers will rise. Despondent tears will fall.

[/media-credit] Vietnamese student Tra Vo performs during a high school festival in Ho Chi Minh City in 2020.

A group of international students has dedicated half a year working towards their college applications. Now, they are documenting the experiences, what they learned, and how the pandemic altered their choices. 

For international students, an acceptance letter means a new chapter, but it also comes with obstacles. Senior Tra Huong Vo positioned herself at the center of the Zoom screen from her house in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. 

With pixelated visuals and lagging audio, one of the family members occasionally would peek into the meeting; the chatting and laughing noises echoed distantly. Their lives intertwined with one another, creating a foundation for solace and motivation. 

Yet despite all the obstacles she has faced, Vo, a current senior at Nguyen Thuong Hien High School, is offered $51,400 a year to pursue Studio Art at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She treated her application as a blank canvas, where each stroke of color represents a component of her personality, harmonizing with depth and boldness. 

“I’m most confident with my extracurriculars and the Common App essay,” Vo said. “Both highlight my passion for art and music […] The essay recalls how I overcame gossip and rumors in my junior year to give my best performance on stage. Initially, I worried that this motif story is generic, […] but it was about showing your authentic self and emotions to the admissions.” 

Choosing one aspect to focus on specifically while building a college profile distinguished Vo as an aficionado for animation and graphic design. But there exists another layer to her story, one where she is stuck in limbo.

The duality of maintaining education in Vietnam, while applying to American colleges, was draining and highly demanding. Vo recounted the periodic sense of insecurity and vulnerability, worrying about things being halfway done and the absence of a safety net.

[/media-credit] Vo hopes to attend Deniston University in Granville, Ohio, to pursue studio art in the fall of 2021.

The probability of yielding negative results in American admission would leave her no option but to take the Vietnamese national college entrance exam, which she was unprepared for. While her classmates spent countless hours drilling practice tests, Tra poured her effort into writing essays, filling out the CSS, and preparing for interviews.

This propelled her to prompt the long-delayed conversation with parents about making decisions for the future. For the first time, she learned about fitting into others’ perspectives and finding support. 

“One week before the Early Decision deadline was when I fell into distress,” Vo said. “Luckily, with the help of friends and my counselor, Kim Thu, I decided to push forward and commit to my path. Looking back, that was the right decision for me.” 

The moment COVID-19 plagued the world and the U.S. marked a turning point in Vo’s family. They went back and forth between studying abroad or not. Should they risk Vo’s safety? Or should she give up the process? Both options remained neatly in the corner of her mind, but neither could prevent the trauma.

The dilemma sparked new developments in Vo’s relationship with her parents, where they opened to perceive and evaluate the unpredictable. Care was bestowed upon her in the form of talking or even arguing or “verbal wrestling”, and just like that, she was bound to the notion of collective responsibility. They agreed, whatever happens, family will be her safety net.

This coming August, Vo officially becomes a member of Denison University’s class of 2025. 

Engaging, companion, and rigorous were the three words Vo used to describe her ideal college environment. Liberal Arts colleges (LACs) are the prominent choices for those who wish to immerse themselves in an intimate learning setting that allows thoughtful discussions and prompts lifelong connections.

[/media-credit] While Tra Vo, left, performance on stage during her high school festival, her collegiate desires will focus on her art.

Top LACs with abundant resources and large endowments attract talents around the globe with need-based policy and holistic admission. Hence Vo’s advice for applicants, especially those that financial ability poses as a barrier to higher education, to not overlook the opportunities that LACs offer while forming their college list. Tra addressed her expectations for the next journey.

“[LACs] with an open curriculum allows me to explore my full potential in the first two years before declaring my major,” Vo said. “My goal is to open my first art exhibition, diving more into music, and pursuing psychology.” 

The possibilities are endless. One is free to combine interests with interdisciplinary studies, offered by most LACs, instead of getting a degree in an orthodox way. Whether it’s economics with philosophy or mathematics with women’s studies, this is where learning started from enthusiasm. 

And everything begins with change. 

[/media-credit] Tra Vo is building a college profile to distinguish her as an aficionado for animation and graphic design.

The exorbitant cost remained the biggest obstacle for Vo to pursue her education in America. International students and DACA are restrained from receiving any Federal Student Aid. And grants from well-established organizations like Fulbright and AAUW tailor specifically for graduate studies. Vo credited the generous college-based grants that she found through the College Board’s Big Future and Niche

US.News offered detailed steps on how to navigate the College Board’s CSS Profile.  

Counting down her last eight weeks in high school, Vo aims to finesse her art portfolio – one that could leave a sense of her maturity in techniques to the audience’s impression.

“Every time I hold my fountain pen and start sketching,” Vo shared with a smile vivid on her face, “it feels like I’m drawing a new chapter of my life. With two months left, let’s hope for the best.” 

To shine a spotlight on the peculiar year of the admission process from untold perspectives, the upcoming series features more narratives on the resilience, hopes, and dreams of international students. 

In an effort to connect international students, this author, campus senior Phan (Amanda) Chau, is offering suggestions and emotional support during college admission and financial rigorous processes via her Metamorphic Pages Facebook website. Read the article for more information.

Do you have any recommendations to support international students on their path? Please share and leave a comment below.