Join The Discussion: The Pledge of Allegiance

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America… As you walk through the hallways of the elementary building, sounds of young children pledging to the bible, the Christian flag, and the American flag can’t help but warm your patriotic heart. 

When was the last time you started a school day with these words? Surprisingly, compared to Clovis Unified School District’s policies, Fresno Christian doesn’t require the pledge of allegiance throughout all grades.

Fresno Christian Schools is split into two campus buildings with elementary school and secondary school each on their own. You can hear the pledge of allegiance through the halls of the elementary school daily, while the secondary has a resounding silence. This is due to the daily pledge requirement ending after fifth grade. 

Kindergarten students begin each morning with multiple flag salutes and a salute to the Bible.

The pledge was written to be a promise of loyalty to the United States. It is usually said before governmental meetings or at the beginning of a school day in most American schools. Written in 1892 by a socialist minister, Francis Bellamy,  it read, “I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” 

After a change in 1923, and again in 1954 during times of communist threat after President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words “under God”.  It now reads, “I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

The practice of pledging every day is taught at the beginning of kindergarten here at FCS. Not only do they pledge to the American flag but also the Christian flag and the Bible. 

Kindergarten teacher, Sara Karlson, shares her experience in leading students through this daily ritual.  

“Students already know how to put their hand over their heart and stand at attention,” Karlson said. “In our school community, these pledges are really important. I don’t believe America is perfect, however, I think as Christians we can hold in one hand the problems of this nation and also our love, respect, and pride in our country.”

Additionally, Vice-Principal and high school Bible teacher Scott Falk shares his support of the daily pledge of allegiance and its importance to people’s lives in America.

“I support the reciting of the pledge in schools – elementary and secondary.  I believe it is an important way to express our support of our nation,” Falk says. “Nations are strong to the degree that its citizens believe in and support the values held in its founding documents and agreed upon in its history and culture.

A poll was administered to all high school students in English classes to see what they believe about nationalistic traditions. Out of a total of 134, over 96% of students believe the pledge is important and 56% believe it should be said every day. When asked if the national anthem should be sung before sporting events over 94% said yes.

This daily tradition of reciting the pledge every day has somewhat faded in many schools across the country including our own. Even though we continue to say the pledge in elementary school, how come it is dropped in the sixth grade? 

Do you feel that saying the pledge of allegiance is important? Should the students continue to say the pledge in secondary school? What are your thoughts, please join the discussion. 

Students and staff  join in the discussion

Grace Mynderup, ’25

“We fought for rights, and if we didn’t salute or sing the national anthem, then we wouldn’t be reminded of these things” 

Jake Wyatt, ’24

“ People will forget the origin of our country and the people who sacrificed their lives for America”

Brynn Foster, ’23

“If you live in a country, especially a free one, and that so many people have sacrificed their lives for this country, then you should have respect.”

Isabella Adams, ’24

“We should continue to say the flag salute and national anthem because American citizens will lose the pride they feel for their country, and the respect it deserves.

Marissa Cantu, ’23

“I think that it creates a moment of silence for what it represents”

To join another discussion go to, Join the Discussion: Feather staff shares COVID-19 shelter-in-place experiences

To read more Feather articles visit, Jake’s ‘Blue Devil’.