Momentum Campaign second phase: new classrooms

Started on Sept. 28, 2021, the Momentum campaign sought to raise $3.9 million in two years. A little over a year later, the campaign raised $2.3 million with $500k more set to arrive in 2023. Among other improvements, these funds were for debt elimination, solar energy, gym renovation, and a new elementary play area.

Why a Second Phase?

[/media-credit] Two connected portable classrooms on the north field serve as a high school math building.

Headed by Superintendent Jeremy Brown, the campaign will pivot from fixing issues and stabilizing finances to expanding the campus. The $2.3 million second phase seeks to replace the two older portable buildings on the north field and install up to six additional modules. These will be used for high school and middle school classrooms.

Fresno Christian holds a 98% retention rate and grown 58% in the last two years. 740 students are enrolled in elementary and high school, with 40 students on a waiting list for this semester and 75 more for the next school year. Money was not spent on advertisements in recent years, showing that these prospective students found out about Fresno Christian by word of mouth. This speaks to the amount of potential students the school could take in by adding more classrooms.

Goals of Second Phase

The second phase seeks to make space for upwards of 200 students by next August. The renovations are projected to start this summer. This includes moving the old playground to make room for new buildings. Two modules were already acquired to replace the current math classrooms.

The new space will not only make way for more students, but also improve the lives of students already enrolled in the school through more academic classes and electives.

In addition to classrooms, new bathrooms will be built. These can be used during sports games, which cuts down on long bathroom lines, especially during packed football games.

Achievements of First Phase

[/media-credit] New solar panel structures over the parking lot are projected to be complete in January 2023.

The most significant portion of money raised by the Momentum campaign went towards eliminating debt that has built up over the last decade. Secondly, funds were used to put solar panels on the elementary, secondary buildings, FC gym and parking lot structures. This solar power will help prevent future debt by eliminating energy bills.

The north and west fields were improved in various ways. Four LED light towers replaced noisy gas powered towers on the North Field. The field was reseeded and the west field gained a varsity softball field.

The funds allowed for the opening of two new positions. This includes a reading interventionist for 5-5th grade who helps around 50 students improve their reading skills and a director of academics for K-12. The staff also saw their first official raise in 12 years, a 7% overall increase.

The elementary and secondary buildings roofs were replaced. This was needed to ensure the solar panels had a good base and prevent leaks that typically occur during winter.

The gym was repainted and keyless entry was added. Fresh branding and signage for the campus was also facilitated by the first phase of the momentum campaign.

To donate to the momentum campaign, visit this website. For more information, email this address.

For more Feather articles, go to PROMO: Student leadership hosts yearly drives and Annual Home EC Christmas blankets.

Summer Foshee
Summer Foshee, Editor