Fresno Christian welcomes new students

Twenty new families join community

As new faces approach the Fresno Christian hallways, the population of students and families expands. The 46th annual school year brings an additional 20 families compared to last year.

New student Gabe Johns, ‘24, who previously attended Bullard High School transferred to Fresno Christian in hopes of growing his friendships and joining the boys’ volleyball team. Johns explains how his prior school wasn’t beneficial to him.  

Gabe Johns, ’24, transferred from Bullard High. (Mallory Friesen)

“I mainly transferred because I didn’t have very many strong Christian friends at my old school and the volleyball season wasn’t very good,” Johns said. “I have a lot of family that went here. My cousins along with my sister and my aunts also teach here as well.” 

In his free time, Johns enjoys going to church and playing spike ball, and volleyball. He’s excited to play his senior season of volleyball after playing for five years.

Coming from Hume Lake Charter School, Junior Chloe Butler is also hoping to gain more friendships throughout the year.  Butler’s father, Brian Butler, is the new English and Bible teacher this year. Butler says it has not been a hard adjustment.

Junior, Chloe Butler is a new resident of the central valley. (Madeleine Durham)

“Coming from a smaller school before it was easier to transition because I wasn’t going from 80 people to 1,000,” Butler continued. “I went to a really small school where everyone knew each other and it was only a handful of kids in my classes.”

Chloe Butler enjoys being active and playing sports such as soccer and spending time with kids. 

Kevin Martinez, ‘26, transferred from Buchanan High School.  He heard about Fresno Christian through his parents. Martinez is excited to be a part of a smaller school atmosphere.

“I have enjoyed having smaller classes, the teachers and the education is way better here than it was at Buchanan,” Martinez said. “I’m excited for all the sports seasons and playing volleyball this year.”    

Kevin would like everyone to know how hardworking he is. Between playing sports and balancing school Martinez is dedicated to it all. 

Abigail Horton, ’27, plays on the Fresno Christian freshman volleyball team. (Madeleine Durham)

Freshman Abigail Horton is coming from Immanuel Schools, by referral from family and friends. Horton has appreciated the community that FC has to offer and is enthusiastic to try new things.

“I really enjoy hanging out with my friends, and I’m very excited to see all the things this school has to offer,” Horton said. “Chapel is a lot of fun and I’m excited to play volleyball this year.”

With the 2022-23 school year in full swing, make sure to reach out to the new people in our community. Everyone can use this as an opportunity to be welcoming and create new friendships. 

To read more from The Feather, go to First football game honors Maui wildfire victims or Hurricane Hillary impacts Fresno residents.