Girls Basketball: Facing an uphill battle

The journey drives team together
Selah Neal

The girl’s basketball team is sprinting through their season. Immediately going into the new year the girls faced challenges as there was a switch in leadership. With a new head coach, Chris Mitchell, and a new assistant coach Kylie Maya, the team has gone through a lot of modifications this season. Mitchell is a first-year coach at Fresno Christian but has an extensive background in basketball. 

“I played basketball at Bullard High School where in 2002 I was the NYL player of the year,” said Mitchell. “I played one year of basketball in Reedley Junior College before joining the United States Navy.”

Coach Mitchell learned how to work hard and is preparing his team for stronger competition. 

“I consider our rivals to be the best teams in our league, which is Caruthers and Sierra,” said Mitchell. “We hope to be able to see them eye to eye on the court in the years to come.” 

The team has faced lots of struggles with losing many players. Planning to join the team, two out of 12 players decided it wasn’t for them and two were too busy to play this season and the last two unfortunately were out with season ending injuries. Potentially starting with 12 players the team is down to seven members only. Although they have had a tough start to the season, they continue to persevere with the help of their two captains.

The team is led by two captains: Marisol “Sol” Martinez, ‘25, and Sarah Guglielmana, ‘26. This will be Martinez’s third year on varsity, but her first year as captain. 

Sol Martinez ’25 has a total of 233 points this season. (Selah Neal)

“It feels good to be able to lead a team that is connected despite the difficult outcomes we might face,” Martinez says. “My goal for our team is for us to grow closer throughout the season and be even better for next year.”

The captains’ roles are to encourage their team and set an example as Godly leaders:

The team has a unique dynamic considering that three out of five of their current starters are freshmen. The young athletes have put a lot of work in seeing as they are competing against players that can be several years older than them and have a physical advantage too. Kamryn Penberthy ‘27 stands barely over five feet but pushes herself to be a force on the court.  

“It’s harder because you could be a freshman playing against a senior so you always have to be ready to play your hardest,” said Penberthy. “Playing on a varsity team has helped me develop more efficiently and quicker than I would on a J.V. team.” 

Although the team has faced difficulties this season, they continue to try their best and improve as much as possible.

Go out, and support your Eagles at their next home game 2/9/24 vs Sierra!

For more from the Feather Athletics page read Boys tennis plans to repeat CIF title or 2023-24 Winter sports.