Basketball league recap

Selah Neal
Noah Coulton, ’26, passes the ball to Trevor Engelman, ’25.

Fresno Christian Varsity Boys Basketball is almost at the end of the league season, 8-0. So far, including pre-season and tournament games, the FC team is 20-6, ranking them 15 in Fresno and 22 in Central Section. 

At the beginning of the season, Starter Beckham Klein, ‘25,  injured his knee and received surgery. Down a starter, Angel DeLeon, ‘24, hopped onto the court.

FC played a home game against Caruthers and won with a score of 49-36 on Jan. 11. The Eagles faced off against Chowchilla and emerged victorious with a final score of 87-26 on Jan. 23. Again, the team secured a resounding victory over Riverdale, with a final score of 80-29, just two days later on Jan. 25. FC dominated Liberty 74-24 on senior night, Feb. 2.

The top players who lead their team this season include Devin Gaines, Noah Coulton and Aden Millwee. Gaines, ’26, has an average of 14 points per game and 4 rebounds. Coulton, ’26, scores an average of 15 points per game and has 6 assists. Millwee, ’25, is currently leading the team with an average of 25 points per game, along with 6 rebounds and 3 assists.

“We’ve been able to compete with D1 teams; so I feel like we can go all the way in playoffs,” Millwee said.

Jon Penberthy has coached basketball at FC for 10 years. Penberthy has also coached boys and girls volleyball at Fresno Christian, and also played basketball in College.

“We’ve been able to really stick to our goals this year. Our theme has been to stay committed to Christ, committed to our teammates and committed to the goal that our team set at the beginning of the year.” Penberthy said.

There is one remaining game before the playoffs. This game is scheduled to be home against Fresno Christian rival Sierra on Feb. 9. 

To see more photos from The Feather visit the media page.

To read more from The Feather read Girls Basketball: Facing an uphill battle or Seniors honored at basketball game.