Promo: Softball team hits off new season

Players bond creating a new team dynamic
Hailey Higton
Rachel Martin serves as the softball team catcher and looks to a future playing softball in college.

As girls softball season starts at Fresno Christian Schools, fans will notice many new faces. Several freshmen join the team with new skills to show on the field. Last season had its ups and downs ending in a 6-15 record, but this year they are ready to swing into the new season.

Senior Rachel Martin signed her junior year to Arizona Christian University and continues to be a star on the team. She hopes to finish off her high school career with a great season. Martin thinks the team has got to know each other very well and is ready for the upcoming games.

“We have a really good team environment this year, and we have good chemistry between the girls, and we’ve all started to trust each other really quickly,” Martin said.

The girls have been practicing almost everyday for their games, getting to know each other and each player’s strengths.

Jordyn DeGroot, 26’, talks optimistically about the importance of playing hard every game even if the team doesn’t win.

Jordyn DeGroot, ’26, pitches and helps lead on this year’s softball team. (Giada Gilmore Young)

“Even if we’re failing we just get a lot of reps to get our mindset ready for the games,” DeGroot said. “We want to make it farther in the season than last year.”

The team made it to the first round of playoffs last year but their journey ended against Mendota High.

Head coach Marilyn Greene returns for her second year. Greene has been coaching softball for 20 years and played before that. She’s encouraging her team to augment their hitting, pitching, and defense skills.

“There’s just so much variation that there’s always something to learn,” Greene said. “So even for the kids that play a lot there’s still stuff to learn. Even playing college softball and even now, there’s still stuff I’m learning.”

Greene remembers how much she learned during college softball. She maintains a posture of continuing to learn as a coach and as she gets to know her players.

Freshman Emma Anshutz has been playing softball since seventh grade. She is eager to learn new skills like how to field the ball faster and move quicker. Even though Anshutz knew most of the team before this season, she enjoys bonding with teammates on and off the field.

“I think we could bond more, but there’s ways to grow in everything ,” Anshutz said.

The softball team is eager for a new season and a chance to better their record with a new team dynamic.

Hailey Higton

Go see the Eagles in action at their next home game against Parlier High School, April 2nd.

For more game times and scores visit The Feather Athletics page.  

For more from The Feather read  Athlete Spotlight: Izzy Adams overcomes surprising injury or The Feather’s legacy is here to stay.