Makeover promotes female maturity

The peer counseling class showcased a modest example of teenage fashion for the annual female gender chapel. While the girls met in Ground Zero, the campus’ male population met in the Peoples Church gym to discuss issues often experienced during the teenage years, on Sept. 18.

Molly Sargent, the peer counseling class adviser, describes the reasoning behind the event.

?The purpose for gender chapel is to explain the dress code,” Sargent said. “We also encourage the girls to be open, break up the cliques and to just be sisters of Christ. Gender chapel started several years ago when I asked the girls to do a fashion show for dress code. The girls think of the ideas for what to do; I just give them help.?

The girls divided into groups and elected a member to “make over” in imitation of a picture of the Drew Carey Show character, Mimi Bobeck. When they finished, the girls’ screams decided the winning makeover transformation. Natalie Gutierres, ?11, middle front on the J.V. volleyball team, won the contest with the loudest applause.

?It was fun to be changed into an ugly person,? Gutierres said. ?I was embarrassed to get on stage because I didn?t have a mirror, so I didn?t know what I looked like.?

Varsity cheerleader Lindsay Bolduc, ?09, participated in the fashion show to highlight the dos and don?ts for this year’s dress code.

?In gender chapel, it was really fun getting up in front of everybody for the fashion show,” Bolduc said. ?It was like a big mad rush, because it was a lot of the girls? first time doing gender chapel.?

Although the gender chapel occurs once a year, the peer counseling class meets during second period to discuss personal issues.

?What I enjoy most about peer counseling is getting to know the girls on a personal level, like a high level of confidentiality,? Sargent said, ?and having the girls feel safe with personal interaction. Peer counseling is basically why I became a teacher. I love how the girls are able to talk about their issues and it helps the girls feel more important.?

Sargent?s outlook on peer counseling reflects many of her students’ opinions of the class. First year peer counseling member Kailee Maxey, ?09, enjoys the fellowship with her classmates, as well as the instruction in mentoring others provided by Sargent.

?She (Sargent) teaches us about life,” Maxey said. “We learn how we can use certain situations to resolve problems. I love to help younger girls and be a mentor to them. I also like being in a small and fun class. In gender chapel, we did a makeover and I enjoyed bonding with the girls.?

Bolduc admits to joining the class for various reasons and believes it has helped her.

?I joined peer counseling because I heard it was fun and Mrs. Sargent was the teacher,? Bolduc said, ?I love being a mentor with the junior high girls. I learned in peer counseling how to get along with my parents and deal with certain problems as well.?

At the end of the first semester, the girls will write an account of what they experienced.

?What the girls write brings me to tears,? Sargent said, ?because I see the girls recognize their strengths and that they can have a positive affect on other people’s lives. Often they are needed for the first time.?

Those who want to read about the boys’ gender chapel can do so by reading Julio Ibarra’s article, “Gender chapel guides guys.”