Pita Pit shames standard subs

Subway. Port-of-Subs. Quiznos. These titles bring to mind some of the most popular deli shops around town. The commercialized sub shops reign in dedicated fans that order “the regular” and never consider an alternate sub choice.

However, not many know of the healthy, teen-friendly deli located just off campus.

The Pita Pit, located on Willow and Herndon and at the Villagio Shopping center by Riverpark add an Armenian twist to an ordinary deli. The sandwiches offer a new dimension of flavor with pita bread rather than the usual wheat or white. Healthy and filling, pita bread gives both flavor and texture to the sandwich.

The atmosphere of the Pita Pit is unlike a boring cafeteria-style deli, with comical posters of different kinds of veggies and a huge menu. While it can be hard to focus on the menu, because of the distracting colors and artwork, it gave the restaurant a fun hang-out vibe.

The ordering process works like most other delis. The customer orders their desired sandwich, which is assembled before their eyes. Pita Pit also serves breakfast pitas, served at any time. Instead of ham, turkey and lettuce, they include things such as eggs and bacon.

The “Pit” caters to any palate with a variety of dips (hummus, tzatziki and babaganoush) and offers classic cookies and potato chips on the side.

I ordered a chicken pita with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, cheese, mustard and mayo. The size of the sandwich overwhelmed me, but a single bite confirmed I was an official fan. Though the unusual sauces made the pita slightly runny, the bread contained the contents perfectly.

My two friends ordered the same pita with garlic sauce. Although I enjoyed the strong taste, the intensity disagreed with one of my friends’ taste buds. As a result, I would recommend ordering sauces on the side.

Fresh veggies make the meal light and leaves a guilt-free conscience for those watching their weight.

My lunch cost about $6, similar to most of the pitas on the menu. They also offer child portions for $3. Sides cost $1 and specialty sauces are available for $0.75 extra.

Those trying to avoid extra carbohydrates can order a substitute salad at the same price as a pita. Pita Pit is the perfect place to dine with family and friends at any age.

I thought it would be difficult ditching burgers and pizza for a health-conscious pita, but the light flavors and filling condiments put standard deli options to shame.

For more information on prices or delivery, call (559) 298-6777. For more lunch time reviews, visit Ricchuiti’s Jan. 24, 2008, article, Deli Delicious refines palate.