Spanish club extends cultural horizons

Although some students are trepidatious about learning the Spanish culture, an on-campus Spanish club offers a secure environment were students can experience the flavors of the culture.

The idea of a Spanish club came to Beatriz Foth, who teaches Spanish II and III, three years ago. She wished for something organized and insightful where her students could learn about the culture.

“I presented the idea of a Spanish club to former principal Gary Schultz and he liked the idea,” Foth said. “Our club isn’t just some kids who meet once in a while, it’s formal with a constitution and bylaws.”

Spanish club meetings are held in Foth’s room, 603. Members convene every other Thursday at lunch, with meetings led by president Austin Ward, ’11. They participate in a new culture as well the many activities that come along with it, including making Spanish videos, serving lunches and and listening to speakers.

“I decided to join it because I wanted more extracurricular activities,” Kendall Wheeler, ’12 said. “I like that I get to make T-shirts and learn about the culture.”

Students can join the club any time in the school year. Admission is $15 first semester and $5 for returning members second semester. This cost covers different expenses, such as the custom Spanish club T-shirt and guest speakers.

“We are expecting new members as the year goes by,” Foth said. “Members will experience traditional Spanish food, musicians, singers and guest speakers.”

In addition to educational experiences, Foth says the cultural food is a huge draw for the club.

“I give extra credit points for students who bring some Spanish food and show it relates to the culture,” Foth said. “It provides the class with some cultural information as well as a nice treat.”

Sophomore Jacob Williams says the included food is a huge part of his enjoyment of the club.

“I joined to get better at my Spanish and learn about the culture,” Williams said. “The food, of course, is a big plus.”

Foth says she strives to make the students aware of the vast cultural differences among Spanish-speaking countries.

“Americans are so heavily influenced by the Mexican culture, and have misconceptions that all Spanish cultures are just like Mexico,” Foth said. “All of the Spanish countries have their own unique customs and foods. Many Spanish countries don’t even know what a taco is. I want students to see the diversity in the Spanish cultures.”

Despite a lack of clubs on campus, Foth says she is proud of the way hers has developed.

“It’s unique because we don’t have many clubs in the school,” Foth said. “We have a good turnout and it is a very successful club. It is neat for students to learn about the Spanish culture outside of their class.”

In addition to Ward, the club has several leaders who meet biweekly to discuss the club: vice president Elizabeth Grossman, ’10; secretary Ashley Ward, ’11, treasurer Ricky Lopez, ’11; and public relations officer Ryan Swain, ’10.

Ward, who joined last year as a sophomore, now leads the discussions of every meeting.

“Spanish Club offers an opportunity for students to meet outside of class and explore topics not often encountered in our typical schedules,” Ward said. “Every other Thursday we meet and share Hispanic foods, discuss topics relevant to Hispanic culture and broaden our understanding of Spanish-speaking nations. As the club requires only a modest time commitment, I would encourage anyone to join who might be interested in these things.”

For more information, e-mail Foth or read the Dec. 18 article, Spanish club expands cultural awareness.