Fireworks fund music department

Hoping to bring in more funds, the music department has partnered with Phantom Fireworks, which gives patrons the opportunity to support the campus music program by purchasing fireworks.

“The effort is to really put more fundraised dollars into creating the budget for our youths for the band and choir program,” music director Michael Ogdon said. “The more we can fundraise to get the budget cared for, the less the students have to fund it.”

In order to participate in this fundraiser, Ogdon submitted FC into a lottery-like competition that Phantom Fireworks was holding. Despite the variety of charities and organizations involved, FC was selected at random.

To make use of this unique fundraising opportunity, band and choir students are currently selling tickets in $10 increments until the end of the year, May 28. These tickets serve as gift cards for the fireworks stand on Herndon and Marks, near Savemart. Those wishing to support the music program can purchase tickets from any student involved in the music department.

In addition, students willing to actively participate in the fundraiser can join the music department in manning the fireworkS stand, which will be operated from June 26-July 5.

“If anyone wants to hang out in 110-degree heat, we will be manning the booth when it comes time for that,” Ogdon said. “It may be a whole lot of fun or a whole lot of misery depending on how many people are helping out with the booth, since there’s a lot of traffic going by and not a lot of competition close by.”

With 4th of July approaching in a few months, Ogdon hopes that not only will the program aid the music department, but that it can also be a service to campus students and parents.

“If this is something you already do, we want to be a service to you,” Ogdon said. “You know from your street how many people are into fireworks. It’s like Christmas tree lights: Some people go all out and some just have a string of lights. Those who go all out are the ones we look to sell to.”

For more information on the music department’s activities, visit the April 29 article, Heritage Festival to wrap up choral, band year.