Softball sport shorts: FC defeats Kings Christian (VIDEO)

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2011-12–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for girls’ softball features. For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2012 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.)

Be sure to visit the 2011-12 girls’ softball schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 2-6 overall and 0-0 in the West Sequoia League as of March. 30. The Eagles will next play against Riverdale High School , April 10.

GIRLS’ SOFTBALL, 2011-12

The Eagles played against Kings Christian Crusaders for their eighth non league game of the season, March 30. FC had an opportunity to play against a team within their division for the first time since the past 6 games were against schools in higher divisions. FC took an advantage of playing teams their level, winning 21-3.

FC played without sophomore Illeana See due to injuries from the past games. Junior Taylor Neufield was also unable to play for FC. Since the Crusaders only brought 8 players, Neufeld played for Kings Christian in order to prevent forfeit of the game.

After winning the previous game against Orange Cove, the Eagles were eager to win consecutive games. In the first inning, the Eagles scored seven runs and stole several bases.

Freshman Ashley Garcia was a crucial player on the field as she replaced senior catcher Raine Hayes at the bottom of the third inning due to medical reasons. Garcia also had 4 walks and scored 3 runs in the lead off spot.

Along with Garcia, sophomore Jenna Weimer was the winning pitcher with 7 strike outs. Senior Nicole Hensley and junior Jenna Orcutt scored 2 runs during the game.

In the last inning, the Eagles were prohibited from stealing the ball since they were winning by close to 20 runs.

According to senior Brandi Thompson, who scored 2 runs, the team has settled down after early season losses and is satisfied with the victory. Thompson plans on motivating her teammates in order to win more games throughout the season.

“I am so happy that we won,” Thompson said. “Because the last two years that I played we didn?t win any besides beating Tranquillity. But just to know that we actually won two already is like a miracle. We won two games already so we will try our best to win more games as the season goes.”

Hayes, who batted for 2-2 with a double, 2 walks, is proud of her teammates for playing their best. Hayes commends Garcia for replacing her while she was injured.

“It feels really good to win two games in a row,” Hayes said. “It?s nice to be on the other side of things. I am really proud of all of the girls for fighting so hard. Ashley stepped up and played catcher while I was out and I am so proud of her. We just need to keep working hard and keep improving. Because we are going to be playing games against some of the teams that beat us before, and even though we have improved a lot, we still can do so much to get better.”

Head coach Jeff Ragan says that his players were able to improve due to their willingness to work and FC?s dedicated coaching staff.

“Even though we lost a few games earlier, we have improved so much,” Ragan said. “I think the girls got to this point by working hard in practice, playing competitive teams and good coaching.”

Freshman Gaby Siqueiros says that it is important to help each other on the field.

“I am way more confident now that we won two games,” Siqueiros said. “I think teamwork is really important because softball is a team sport and we can?t win by just having one good player. For the next game, we should definitely help each other more.”

With a number of players playing basketball during the late winter and early spring, the Eagles now have a number of practices and games with the full squad. And while the team will not play until after spring break, they will return to a full game schedule beginning April 10 against Riverdale. However, FC will not play a home game until April 19 when they host Fowler.

The Eagles will next travel to Riverdale High School to play the Cowgirls, April 10, and at Tranquillity, April 12. Their next home game will be against the Fowler Redcats, April 19.