Football sport shorts: Anzar

FOOTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2014
For a preview to the Eagles football season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2014, for dates, scores, and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagles’ schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 2-1 overall and 0-0 in the Central Sierra League as of Sept. 18. FC’s next game will be on Sept. 20, as the Eagles play Trinity High School in Monterey.

FOOTBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2014
ANOTHER HOME WIN FOR EAGLES, Sept. 12

[/media-credit] Junior Christopher Kollenkark sprints down the field after a kick return.
FC hosted the Anzar Knights on Sept. 12 for their third preseason game. The Eagles headed into the game looking for a win, and were not disappointed.

Within the first five minutes of the game, the Eagles achieved one, of the first of many touchdowns. By the end of the first quarter FC had scored 16.

Similar to the first, the Eagles kept up their progress and scored an additional 16 points. The Knights were able to add two points to the score board with a safety.

Both teams struggled to score in the third and the tally was still 32-2. Yet by the fourth, the Eagles ended with a bang and shut out the already flagging knights 45-2.

Head Coach Mick Fuller was content with how the game turned out, especially in the defense department.

“On defense, the boys are starting to execute their individual assignments with precision and tenacity,” Fuller said. “This fosters trust among them and has a self-perpetuating synergy that elevates the whole unit’s performance-the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.”

However, Fuller reports that the boys have some work to do on their offensive skills. Once the boys master offense, Fuller believes they will become nearly unstoppable.

“Offensively, we are still a work in progress,” Fuller said. “We have athletes at every position that can impact the game, but we are still looking for the spark to ignite a fire of confidence in the offensive unit. When that happens, the boys as a unit, will be able to assert their will and dominate just about any team we will see this year.”

Sophomore, Thomas Friesen, thought the game went well, especially due to his favorable performance, with his two tackles for loss of Anzar yardage, 14 tackles, and a 25 yard interception return as an outside linebacker. Friesen believed that because of their strong defense the Eagles were able to win by a sizable amount.
&%picture2placement%&
“This was one of my better games,” Friesen said. “I made key tackles and plays which really helped the team stop Anzar’s offense. As a team we played really well, in all aspects, particularly the defense we became a unit and fought hard. Yet as always there are small things which we need to improve upon such as our blocking on the offensive line, but overall, it was a great game.”

Christopher Kollenkark, ’16, was thankful for the effort and skill which the team played with and hopes for a tight bond between the players, and their relationship with God.

“I am extremely thankful for all of the line men,” Kollenkark said. “Because of them, I can do my job as the running back and help gain yardage for the team. Even though we won by a long shot, we still need to work on the teams unity. We just need to bond off the field and together as a team. We need to be Godly men, and set an example for the whole school, on and off the field.”

The Eagles offense had a total of 113.8 passing yards, and 234 all purpose yards. Chris Kollenkark had a total of 9 solo tackles and 10 overall.

FC will next play Trinity Christian at Monterey High School, Sept. 20 at 1 p.m.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter.

For more sports, read the Sept. 15 article, Volleyball sport short: Stone Ridge