Boys' soccer sport shorts: Fowler

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2012-13–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2012-13 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 0-2 in the West Sequoia League and 1-6-1 overall as of Jan. 10. The Eagles will next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan. 15.

FC LOSES TO FOWLER, 3-1
After an 8-1 loss against Parlier, the Eagles played the Fowler Redcats, letting down their defense in the beginning if the game to lose 3-1, Jan. 10.

According to head boys’ soccer coach Matt Markarian, he says that the Eagles must give 100% throughout their whole game in order to compete with all of the teams in their division.

“We need to continue to play hard the entire game,” Markarian said. “It was a very competitive game but we let down for about ten minutes in which time they scored all of their goals. We have to learn to play the full 80 minutes then we will start to contend with the other schools.”

For junior home-schooler Richie Newman, this is a completely new way of playing soccer compared to his previous experience.

“It?s a lot rougher than I expected it to be,” Newman said. “It?s different than the other times I?ve played soccer, during junior high it was mostly who?s the fastest but now it?s more of who goes for the player not the ball. It’s going be a great season and I?m excited for next week?s games.?

After transferring from Clovis North High School, which prevented him from from playing the first half of the soccer season, junior Christian Saylor is looking forward for to next week’s games.

“It?s rather different than Clovis North,” Saylor said. “We all played a good game out there and I?m proud of the team. Of course we have some injured players but once we get our goalie back next week we?ll be able to make a comeback.”

The eagles play next travel to play the Caruthers Blue Raiders, Jan. 15.

For more sport shorts, read the Jan. 11 article, Boys’ soccer sport shorts: Parlier.