ASB president finds self, encourages discovery

“Go find yourself.” We have all heard that phrase recently, or variations of it such as “I need to find myself,” “I don’t know who I am” or “Johnny doesn?t know who he is.” With the opportunity to begin anew, as the senior class is approaching their end of high school, todays question is; do we need to leave to find ourselves? I propose that we do not and that you can find an abundance of life can be found right here, yes here in Fresno.

You are yourself; you have been yourself, for the last 18 years, it has been you all along. I am, you are, he and she is, the divine work that has been completed by Christ. We should be living that victory of a saved person versus the doomed life of the sinful. To all you “Flagellants” the lashes have been laid on another?s back. We are forgiven and free to live abundantly.

Some place in Scripture it says a child is known for his actions, and ever since we have been walking and talking our families, friends and neighbors have figured out who we are. They might even know us better than we know ourselves. No need to go across the nation to find out who you are, all you have to do is walk across the street and ask old man Jones.

I realize the expectations of others can overly influence who we think we are (maybe our parents and friends fill that role). So it took a little backbone to let my Dad know that I was not going to be his son the brain surgeon.

The thought of my friends leaving makes me sad. My dad always reminds me what Rene Descartes said, “I think, therefore I am.” He follows that with, “They teach that in Fresno, Palo Alto, Boston and London.” Then comes, “2+2 =4 and that is the same in America, Europe, and Asia.” My response is “Yeah Dad I get it!”

Obviously he is happy I will be attending Fresno State. It is who I am. Going away will never define us. Our actions have done that for us already. We will not be defined by the Harvards of the world. They may add to who we are, hopefully make us a better person, but that is more about you than them.
Now, who are you?

For more opinions, read the Dec. 10 article, College Corner: Enjoying Christmas break.