Boys soccer sports shorts: Parlier

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2013-14–
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2012-13, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2013-14 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. The Eagles are currently 0-3, West Sequoia League, and 2-7 overall as of Jan. 27.

EAGLES HOLD OWN, LOSE, 3-0

The Eagles headed to Parlier to play the Parlier Panthers, Jan. 24, where the Eagles lost after a tough battle, 3-0.

Both teams put up a good fight for the first 10 minutes of play, but the Panthers were not to be denied, with a skillful shot from outside the eighteen in the upper right hand side net. They scored once again soon after, thus lengthening their lead, 2-0.

After a talk from coach Matt Markarian, the Eagles came out to do a better job than the previous half. With another 40 minutes to play, the Eagles came out fighting, although the Panthers managed to score one more point, the Eagles managed to keep the ball in the Panthers side of the field, almost scoring but lost each chance.

At the end of the game the Panthers won 3-0 against the now 0-2 Eagles in the West Sequoia League.

Head coach Matt Markarian was pleased with how the Eagles played overall but hopes for this type of performance in every match up.

“The team played well,” Markarian said. “Especially in the second half, they came out fighting and didn’t hang their heads when the Panthers scored again. They dug in their heels and fought it out until the finish. The team just needs to play with this intensity in all their games and they will be able to pull out some more wins.”

Senior Christian Saylor was disappointed with the loss, but acknowledges that the Panthers were a good team.

“We played well,” Saylor said. “For being a man down, we gave a good fight. Although once they scored, we let up and they were able to score once again. We just need to leave everything out on the field when we play.”

Sophomore Andrew Moore was happy with how he played but also disappointed with the overall outcome.

“I thought I played a good game,” Moore said. “I used all of the things I learned at practice, which helped me play my position with better ease. We just could not finish which ended in a bigger loss for us.”

The Eagles will travel to play the Riverdale Cowboys, Jan. 28.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more sports, read the Jan. 23 article, Sisters add dynamic to varsity team.