School educates parents on technology changes

With the many changes brought about by the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program, the FC Technology Leadership Team is putting on a Technology Information Night in the FC music suite, March 10 at 7 p.m.

Technology Information Night will serve as a guidance to parents for the vision of BYOD. Head of technology department David Martens, wants parents to understand the plan of BYOD.

“There are three Technology Information Nights and they are intended to allow us to communicate to parents our vision for the BYOD program,” Martens said. “So the vision as well as some of the policies are going to be put into play and communicated at Tech Night. Parents should go to hear the information and to ask questions regarding the new change.”

Parents are encouraged to attend in order to clear up any confusion or concerns they may have regarding the technology transition. History teacher, Kori Friesen explains how crucial it is for parents to be on board and support the new change.

“I am going to be showing the parents how technology will be used in the classroom,” Friesen said. “I’ll be demonstrating things that have already been completed, sample work and give them an overview of what it will look like integrated in a classroom.”

Friesen hopes that the information night will shed some light to the new BYOD program. She hopes that it will calm the fears of the hesitant parents and allow them to realize that the school needs as much support from them as possible.

“I think the change that the school will be going through could be creating some apprehension in parents,” Friesen said. “The more understanding and knowledge they have about it would take away any fears they have and help them be a part of the change and support system that we’re going to need from home.”

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson and @gaby_siqueiros. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more news, read the Feb. 4, BRIEF: Fundraiser to be held at Applebee’s, March 10 article.