Tennis sport shorts: California Tennis Classic

TennisCalifTennisClassicSm
[/media-credit] On March 7-8 the FC tennis team took part in the California Tennis Classic tournament.
BOYS TENNIS SPORT SHORTS, 2014
For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Spring sport box scores, 2014 for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

There are no additional stats available online for tennis. FC is currently 3-3 overall and 0-0 in West Sequoia League as of Feb. 27. The Eagles will next play the Caruthers’s Blue Raiders, March 4.

EAGLES TAKE PART IN CALIFORNIA TENNIS CLASSIC, MARCH 7-8
On March 7-8 the FC tennis team took part in the California Tennis Classic tournament, a state-wide team tournament pitting teams of similar success against each other. The Eagles played in the eighth division of the tournament.

On Friday, the team defeated Hanford, tying with a match score of 3-3 and set count of 8-8 but winning the individual game count. The Eagles then lost 4-2 to Atwater and 5-1 to Wasco, ending the first day of the tournament.

The Eagles played only two matches Saturday, losing to Dinuba 6-0 first. The team then rallied to beat Kingsburg 3-3 (8-6 sets) by winning all of its doubles matches.

Coach Robert Foshee noted that the tournament helped the team prepare for the rest of the season.

“The tournament is a great opportunity,” Foshee said. “It lets us play a lot of matches against good teams. This should help prepare us for our upcoming league matches.”

Junior Jordan Castro was exhausted after the tournament, but enjoyed getting to play doubles.

“I’m really tired after all that tennis,” Castro said. “Still, it was fun to get to play second doubles. The tournament was fun overall, but I’m glad we’re done.”

Rick Morrison said that the experience of the tournament helped him improve his game.

“It was fun,” Morrison said. “I got to play first singles for one match. All of the playing time has helped me work on my game; the teams we played were really good, so playing them helped me to get better.”

The Eagles play next at home against Dos Palos, March 11.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @m00re_is_better. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. And follow the athletics department on Twitter: @FCSportsAD.

For more sports, read the March 7 Golf sport shorts: Reedley.