Senior gets involved, gains campus family

With my year coming to a close, I have begun to look back on all the things that I have experienced at Fresno Christian: the good and the bad. At times, I have thought that leaving the school would be a good option for me to mature more, so I could expand my horizon beyond the life I’ve had in FC.

However, choosing to stay at this school was probably one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. Sure you could call our school strict and sheltered, but I would not be the man I am today without the help of the friends and mentors I have gained during my time here.

My encouragement to you reading this, is to stay positive, and to focus on the good things about being at FC, and eventually you will know how lucky you are to be enrolled here.

This year I have had some dramatic changes occur in my life, and all have eventually been for the better. I have lost some friendships and relationships, which were hard to get over, but I learned that there were other people outside the small group of friends I have had for my first three years of high school.

Around halfway through the first semester, I did not know who I belonged with after distancing myself from my old friends and lifestyle and I was confused. I started hanging with some people who I?ve known forever, but never tried to get to know them well. Within a month, I gained new friends that changed my life and made me feel welcome. I can talk to them about anything, and they have given me so much advice that I could have never figured out on my own.

At this school, you do not just make friends, you make a family. The relationships I have made at this school will last for a lifetime, and that is a rare occurrence in any other school. This is a special place, and I am so happy to have spent my high school time here.

In October of last year, my dad suffered a serious heart attack, and was in critical condition for about two days. I did not know if he was going to make it, but what I did know is that I was scared and confused.

During one of our Tuesday morning chapels, Mr. Foshee announced the news about my dad, and called everyone to pray for him. I had no idea that this was going to happen, but before I could react, I had the entire student body surrounding me, praying over me and my father.

After that experience, I knew that this was where I belonged. Nowhere else in the world could you have an entire school praying for a family member in need, and it is the best feeling you could ever have. I felt cared for, and I knew that my dad would be covered in their prayers. This school helped me through one of the toughest times of my life, and I will always remember that.

It is not just the students who have been helpful and accepting during my time at FC, but the teachers as well. At public schools, teachers have so many students, they can?t even remember most of their names. At this school, teachers make it a mission to get to know us, and try and be a positive influence in our lives. These men and women have showed me the ropes in academics, and in life. Their advice has helped me in times of struggles, and they would be happy to do the same for you.

So my advice to you all would be to get involved in school groups, and begin building relationships centered around Christ. There are some amazing people at FC, so get out there be open with people, and don?t spend your high school years with the same old groups.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Robbie_J24. Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather.

For more senior reflections, read the May 15 article, Senior offers advice, knowledge to underclassmen