Football sport shorts: Kings Christian

FOOTBALL SPORT SHORTS, 2014

For a preview to the Eagles football season and a look at their scores so far, check out the Fall sport box scores, 2014, for dates, scores, and all fall sports.

Also, please be sure to check out the Eagles’ schedule for the upcoming season at Max Preps. FC is currently 3-3 overall and 0-1 in the Central Sierra League as of Sept. 20. FC’s next game will be on Oct. 17, as the Eagles play Faith Christian in Coalinga.

FOOTBALL SPORTS SHORTS, 2014
Late Start for the Eagles, Oct. 10

football
[/media-credit] Quarterback and senior Richard Morrison receives the hike in preparation to hand the ball off to running back Slater Wade.

FC faced our most infamous rival in football on Friday Oct. 10 against the Kings Christian Crusaders. They met on the North field at 7 o’clock to renew their annual competition.

Throughout the first and second quarters, FC remained scoreless, unable to stop the running game and the intelligent quarter back running the Crusader offense. While the crusaders racked up the points and displayed massive amounts of talent, the Eagles remained dumbstruck and flat footed, ending a depressing first half 23-0.

Chris Kollenkark was disappointed with how the team played during the first half and knows that those mistakes are things which they need to work on.

“We just couldn’t get our feet under ourselves,” said Kollenkark. “Our team just wasn’t determined to follow their roles and fulfill their required jobs. I hope that in the next games that this wont happen again and that we can come out ready and eager to win.”

The second half was like a new beginning. We came out with great intensity and courage. After our first half performance, we weren’t going to settle with half effort. The whole team came out with energy and enthusiasm for the second half and played amazingly well. We just need to work on our first half discipline. Coach Fuller said that if we play every game like the second half of the Kings’ game, then we could be one of the best teams. –Julian Castro, ’14.

During half time coach Fuller and the team captains inspired the team to come out on fire. Now ready to fight, the Eagles prepared themselves for the task at hand, coming back from a deficit. The FC offense earned 20 points in the 3rd quarter, a stark comparison between the earlier team, proving themselves a worthy opponent of a team ranked 5th in California State 8 man rankings. While the offense proved themselves, the defense were unable to do so and let 2 touchdowns by with their shaky coverage. Thus ending the 3rd quarter 20-37.

Again the Eagles offense showed off their capabilities with 8 more points on the scoreboard in the first couple minutes, likewise, the defense fixed their mistakes and managed to put a stop to the already exhausted Crusader offense who came to the competition with a total of 15 players.

With two minutes remaining on the clock, the Eagles offense started up the offensive machine once more, yet to their surprise, were met with stiff resistance. This proved to be a problem and stopped the Eagles in their own territory, leaving them at 4th and long. Hoping for a hail marry the crowd awaited in anticipation for the lucky pass, but to their disappointment the Eagles punted the ball. Returning possession to the Crusaders who kept it till the end. Ending the match 37-28.

Quarterback and senior Richard Morrison was disappointed with the end result, but knows the team can overcome the problems which occurred and fix them in order to be ready for the game against faith Christian.

“I believe I played descent,” Morrison said. “The line blocked really well, which allowed me to throw some touchdowns, putting some points on the board. Yet overall there is still more learning to do. Our wide receivers need to learn to come back, our running backs along with myself need to run lower. I am hopeful for the next game that we will fix these mistakes and come out on fire in the first half.”

Running and defensive back, Julian Castro, 17′, was ecstatic with how the team played in the second half, and hopes that the team will play in a similar manner in their games to come.

“The second half was like a new beginning,” Castro said. “We came out with great intensity and courage. After our first half performance, we weren’t going to settle with half effort. The whole team came out with energy and enthusiasm for the second half and played amazingly well. We just need to work on our first half discipline. Coach Fuller said that if we play every game like the second half of the Kings’ game, then we could be one of the best teams.”

With that in mind, the football team will next play Faith Christian in Coalinga on their home turf, Oct. 17. And their next home game will be homecoming against Northwest Christian, Oct. 31.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter.