COLUMN: Homecoming attitude begins with you

Homecoming is considered by many to be the single most action-packed week in the FC school year. There are dress up days everyday, three pageants, a blood drive, a rally, football game and four floats. There is no way to avoid the mayhem; so why not be a part of it?

In the past few years FC has seen a drop in school spirit. Teachers and the leadership class have tried their best to get students involved by offering extra credit if students attend sporting events and by planning various events to spark student interest. Despite the efforts of the faculty and leadership class, the decision still lies with the student body.

The sole purpose for homecoming week festivities is to build up for the Friday football game. Now, I know football is not everybody’s thing, but as cliche as this is going to sound, you only experience high school once.

Now, I know some people are dying to finally get out of high school and get to actually living life. However, take a look; this is life, and later on when your kids ask about your time in high school do you want to be able to earn some cool mom/dad points by showing them super embarrassing pictures and having stories to go along with them?

Whether we like it or not, the time is now to start making those timeless memories about how ridiculous you dressed up, how you beat your rival class in a screaming match at the rally or how you completely lost your voice at the football game even though you have absolutely no idea what’s going on.

Don’t waste your time watching other people have fun. Join in, influence other people, create the memories you deserve to leave high school with. Do not put all your effort into abstaining from this week because you are afraid of what people will think. If you have already made it clear you think it’s all a waste of time but you’re having second thoughts, then who cares. It’s okay to change your mind; those who mind do not matter, and those who matter do not mind.

This week’s dress up days go as follows:

Monday, Oct. 27: ‘Merica Monday
Tuesday, Oct. 28: Tacky Tourist Tuesday
Wednesday, Oct. 29: Waking up Wednesday
Thursday, Oct. 30: Think A-like Thursday
Friday, Oct. 31: Fly Together Friday (spirit wear)

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.

For more opinions, read the Oct. 24, COLUMN: Invitation to homecoming.