Santa's elves return to the North Pole with Operation Santa

[/media-credit] All across the world, letters are being sent to the ‘North Pole’ (NYC) and are being read by volunteers.

Christmas festivities inspire warm hearted Volunteers

For many children and families, the countdown for Christmas begins right after Halloween. Businesses across the nation are readying for the busiest time of the year. Decorations are hung at the end of Thanksgiving and Christmas tree lots are beginning to bring out their best pines.

With the increase of online shopping during the Christmas season, temporary jobs are needed to complete the millions of orders requested. The San Joaquin Valley is a key distribution center because of its prime location in the middle of California.

Jobs like these are growing every year because of the option to purchase gifts online. Distributing centers rush to supply stores around the country; sending more truckloads of merchandise to the shelves of stores. Companies like UPS and FedEx have been forced to double the amount of seasonal workers.

During Christmas time, a program called Operation Santa reaches out to children and families by bringing joy and warmth to those who do not receive the splendor of gifts.

This year, Operation Santa is celebrating its 103rd anniversary. Operation Santa in New York City (NYC) is one of the biggest locations for receiving letters; bringing in about 300,000 letters each year. All across the world, letters are being sent to the ‘North Pole’ (NYC) and are being read by volunteers.

Chief Elf of Operation Santa, Pete Fontana, in New York, preps the program for the most hectic time of the year.

“Operation Santa displays letters to the public to read and pick out,” Fontana said. “Families can pick out the ones that have touched their hearts and provide for the writer whether its buying gifts, toys or food. Not all letters receive gifts but the program does anything it can to make sure they do.”

Operation Santa displays letters to the public to read and pick out. Families can pick out the ones that have touched their hearts and provide for the writer whether its buying gifts, toys or food. Not all letters receive gifts but the program does anything it can to make sure they do. –Pete Fontana 

Fontana has overseen the project for over 16 years, but the Chief Elf position recently came into place three years ago.

“During the month of December, I am constantly working,” Fontana said. “Times are so busy that I have to completely devote myself towards the program. The center receives hundreds of people everyday to come and read letters; I make sure things are running smoothly.”

Throughout the years of Operation Santa, Fontana has come across some touching letters that he has read and will never forget.

“One of my favorite heartwarming stories that I have read was about this teenage boy who was in high school and had three siblings,” Fontana said. “The family was struggling and his father was no longer in the picture. The mother couldn’t pay the bills and he wanted to drop out of high school to become an actor.

“One day at the station,” he contented, “we had a TV and Broadway show producer come in and read this boy’s letter. Being touched by the boy’s letter, he took him in the family, put the kid through acting school and still to today supports the family. It’s amazing to think that just from a Santa letter, these life changing things can happen.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jennypenny8835 and via email: Jenny King.

For more features, read the Nov. 21 article, Students reflect on the privilege of driving, pros and cons.