BRIEF: Leadership invites campus to Christmas Tree Lane, Dec. 10

[media-credit name=”Feather file photo” align=”alignright” width=”300″]ChristmasLane5[/media-credit]

It’s that time of year again, Christmas time! And leadership is rallying up as many students as they can to attend the second (and last) walk night of the season.

The Fresno Christmas Tree Lane has been an ongoing tradition for 92 years, making this one of the longest Christmas traditions in the nation.

Each year, during the month of December, the street of Van Ness Blvd. is decorated from top to bottom, end to end, from early December to Christmas Eve. Hundreds and hundreds of Fresno/Clovis natives and visitors come to see what the lane has to offer.

There have been other make-shift lanes in Fresno that have modeled their decorating after the historical Christmas Tree Lane, but none have ever come close to the vast number of people and tourists that return a number of nights throughout the season ever year. Christmas Tree Lane will always be the favorite, the go-to holiday tradition.

On Wed., Dec. 10, the student leadership class has invited the FC junior high and senior high to attend the Christmas Tree Lane walk night. The leadership class has advised everyone attending to wear their ugliest Christmas sweater and meet at the Starbucks in Fig Garden Village at 7 p.m. Whomever wears the ugliest sweater will receive a free Starbucks drink. After participants all meet at Starbucks, students will head over to the lane and walk.

Looking forward to seeing you in your ugly Christmas sweater walking the lane!

Sophomore, Sydney Belmont shares her excitement for the upcoming walk night.

“I’ve been to Christmas Tree Lane once before, but have never experienced the walking part of it. I look forward to walking the lane with my fellow classmates next Wednesday,” Belmont said. “A couple years ago, I was with Jenny King and we were having a Christmas party, and decided to head to the lane to see the lights and decorations, but there wasn’t enough room in her mom’s car so I had to squish on the floor; but I still thought everything was really pretty all lit up, with what little I could see.”

Senior Matt Ely talks to us about his love for the ties he has with the lane.

“I live a block away from the lane, and it’s nice to be in that environment because it helps me get into the Christmas spirit,” Ely said. “I also decorate my house and it’s enjoyable to be able to admire the lane whenever I choose because I’m so close in proximity.”

Junior Kylie Bell shares her thoughts on living near the lane.

“I live a block away from the lane, and it’s always very crowded around my house, and people always park in front of my yard,” Bell said. “I often tell my mom we should charge for parking because it’s so crowded and our gravel driveway gets disheveled. It’s really special living in Fig Garden because you can sign up to be in charge of turning on the lights on and off for one of the nights. My dad and I did that a few years back, and it was very cool to be a part of the lane.”

For more information, contact the student leadership class.

Follow The Feather via Twitter: @thefeather and @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @kedamschen.

For more news, read the Dec. 4 article, BREAKING: Feather receives CSPA critique: Gold Medalist.