Freshmen earn Clovis Art Guild honors

Art Sally Rudolfs1
[/media-credit] Freshman Sally Rudolfs “Girl with Freckles,” is displayed at the Clovis Art Guild Fall Show in the Veteran’s Memorial Building in Old Town Clovis, Oct. 20-26
Art teacher Sharon Scharf entered campus artwork in the high school section of the Clovis Art Guild Fall Show in the Veteran’s Memorial Building in Old Town Clovis, Oct. 20-26 to represent Fresno Christian.

“I’m a firm believer in getting our name out there,” Scharf said. “It’s only been in the last three years that the Clovis Art Guild has opened the high school division up to schools other than Clovis schools. We want them to know that we appreciate it.

“The members of the Art Guild always remark at how professional and talented out students are,” Scharf continued. “They appreciate the young up-and-coming artists.”

Freshman Cayla Rivas was awarded third place with her watercolor, “Heartbreak.” She also earned an honorable mention for a pen/ink drawing, “Speak from your heart.”

Scharf said each semester she picks student artwork she feels reflects a quality effort and technique. Each of the student work this year is no exception.

“I saw a couple of pictures on the Internet and thought they would be a cool drawing,” Rivas said. “I saw pictures of an old speaker and a human heart from a couple of websites that I thought were kinda cool. An artist from my church did something similar with a heart and flowers intertwined so I thought I would try it.”

“I really didn’t think about going to see the pieces at the Clovis show,” Rivas continued. “It actually slipped my mind. My mom said she was proud of me so I guess that’s pretty good.”

Rivas went on to say that she got the idea for her Heartbreak watercolor on the Internet as well. I thought the girl would be pretty to paint. I’m glad it turned out.”

Freshman Sally Rudolfs also earned an honorable mention with her prismacolor, “Girl with Freckles.”

“I was looking through a social media site,” Rudolfs said, “and I saw a girl whose face stood out to me so I thought it would be really cool as an art piece. I changed some of the facial features to make it my own and altered the structure a little. I think I could have made it better so I’m a little surprised I got honorable mention.”

She has no plans to hang the drawing and actually thinks she will just stick it in a drawer for now.

The Clovis Art Guild invites art students who have entered the show were also encouraged to join the judges and artists at their meetings – where there is always a demonstration. Sydney Belmont and Michael Fu also had entries in the show.

“I enjoy talking to the art teachers from the other schools, getting idea to bring back to our school,” Scharf said. “I wish more of our students would take advantage of the Art Guild shows.

Be sure to check out freshman Cayla Rivas’ watercolor, “Heartbreak.”

The next Clovis art show will be in conjunction with the Clovis Rodeo in April. Please check out the 2014 Old West Rodeo Art Show. FC’s own Michael Fu was one of the winner’s last semester.

For more photos, visit The Feather’s photo section or check out Twin Day is underway or King dance tomorrow.