COLUMN: Fall initiates theme of change in campus focus

[/media-credit] Superintendent Jeremy Brown encourages the student body to look around to those around us, to look for people that we can be a neighbor towards (The Good Samaritan). Our season has changed, and our mission continues to love others as Christ loves us.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

As we move away from 2014 homecoming, I am reflecting on the week leading into the game. We had activities, contests, dress up days and our campus exuded school spirit. Then the rain came which just made the narrative of homecoming even more memorable.

The writer of Ecclesiastes and Peter Seeger, author of the song made famous by The Byrds, “Turn, Turn, Turn,” understood that God created seasons in our world and our lives.

The rain at homecoming marked a change in season for me personally. As I stood on the side line watching our homecoming court participants hide under umbrellas from the rain, I saw joy… soaking wet joy.

The writer of Ecclesiastes and Peter Seeger, author of the song made famous by The Byrds, “Turn, Turn, Turn,” understood that God created seasons in our world and our lives. I feel that our community is being called into a different season, a season of giving, loving and sharing- theme of change. — Superintendent Jeremy Brown

The question is why? How did we all find joy on that night? The joy was on the inside of us, Christ is our joy, Christ is in us. Despite circumstances of less than ideal weather there was still joy. I feel that our community is being called into a different season, a season of giving, loving and sharing- theme of change.

There are people in our FC community and the communities of Fresno and Clovis dealing with a personal “rain:” Rain in the form of loss, death, illness, broken hearts, financial stress and broken families. Our response as Christ-Followers is to understand that there is a time for everything.

Our second response is to look around to those around us, to look for people that we can be a neighbor towards (The Good Samaritan). Our season has changed, and our mission continues to love others as Christ loves us.

Thank you FC for being the “body”, I look forward to hearing reports from how we serve our community as a school, families and individuals. There is a lot of need and hurt in the world and we will know us by “our love”.

For more opinions, read the Nov. 17 article, EDITORIAL: Making what matters count.