Local PBS showcases exclusive Downton Abbey preview

[/media-credit] Special preview of Downton Abbey provided by local PBS broadcast.

On a crisp and cold night, lines of excited Downton Abbey fans waited outside the Tower Theatre to see a sneak peek of the fifth season’s first episode. This special showing of Downton Abbey was provided by Valley PBS and Fresno Coin Gallery. As the line of fans extended around the building, the entry doors were opened promptly at five.

Fans of older ages attending made up a majority of the audience. Groups of seniors chatted happily with excitement for Season 5, prior to the showing. With the support provided by Fresno Coin Gallery, admission tickets were free.

At the entrance of the Tower Theater, tables of exquisite hats from the 1920s era were displayed and raffle tickets were being sold for themed prizes. Across the entry walls, blue and purple lights illuminated the theatre adding glitz to the night.

Dedicated fans arrive dressed up as 1920 flappers or characters from the show. Across the theatre, elegant hats stood out among individuals seated among the velvet seats. Fancy fur coats and lace dresses are worn among the guests that attended.

At 5:30 p.m., an opening from PBS’s new CEO and President, Phil Meyer, introduces the preview showing and gave a reflection about his new position as CEO. After the opening speech, gift baskets of exclusive Downton Abbey prizes were raffled off to lucky winners.

Following the showing, Lady Rose’s Flapper Fete Party was held at The Painted Table for those over the age of 21. Here the guests were served English tea, sandwiches and desserts. At the party, some could have their picture taken with the Highclaire Castle {house where Downton Abbey takes place}.

Downton Abbey is one of the Masterpiece Classics that is aired on the Valley PBS channel on Sunday’s at 9 p.m. In past years, PBS has provided early showings of the show the day before it airs. Season 5 of Downton Abbey officially airs its first episode, Jan. 4.

Because of the shows popularity in the valley, Valley PBS plans to feature more Downton Abbey events in the near future. The audience and viewers of PBS help and support the channel to make it what it is today.

Look online to the Valley PBS website for more upcoming events in the Valley.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline

For more features, read the Jan. 6 article, Holiday season highlights: Join the Discussion.