Student travels to Taiwan over the holidays

P1080848_Fotor
[/media-credit] People come all the way from Japan and stopped by Jiquing Village to enjoy the lights and Christmas spirit.
Despite this being my fourth year of study in United States, each year during Christmas, I have never spent my holidays here in the States. Although people in Taiwan know about this holiday, people rarely pay attention to this holiday.

This year I left early for Christmas break to be reunited with my family. During the time I spent with my family, we decided to explore this island that we have lived on for decades and in search of different cultures in Taiwan to help others who have never visited the place I called home.

Regardless, the plane landed at the Taoyuan International Airport, and my journey began. The first stop I arrived at was the Taiwan High Speed Railroad Station in Taoyuan, and the price of the ticket at only three dollars. I arrived in the heart of the country, Taipei. Although Taipei city might seem small on the map, this city contain one-tenth the population of Taiwan.

After arriving home from the, Taipei Metro, I set down my luggage and begun my trip. One of the first buildings we visited was Taipei Arena. Opened in 2005, this large multi-function gym provides more than 15,000 seats and allows different varieties of sports to play indoor without the disruption of the weather. This arena also has the ability to freeze the floor for ice skating.

When people asked me what the most special part of Taiwan is, I have to say the food. Shillin Night Market, one of the many places people have to visit, has held the title of representing the food of Taiwan for many years. Famous for many different foods, I could not even named all of them. Some as simple as fried chicken, shillin sausage, oyster omelette, cold noodles and even stinky tofu could be the most delicious dishes one could ever have.

On Nov. 29, my dad and I traveled to Pingxi and visited another popular tourist hub in Taiwan. Well known other than food, Pingxi is the only place the government allows people to release sky lanterns. Because I did not want to miss this unique chance to truly become involved with the Taiwanese culture, we bought a lantern and released it into the sky with wishes written on the lantern.
&%picture2placement%&
The first day of the December, I traveled to Tamsui, a harbor that used to be the biggest port in Taiwan and also had the name of Eastern Venice. One thing that stood out in Tansui is the street artists who gathered there from all over the place. Singers, artists, buskers and people who make molds of your hands. Beside all of these special characters of Tansui, my favorite part was the sunset. Sitting beside the ocean with the breeze coming from the sea, I spent the most delightful time watching sunset with Tansui special gigantic ice cream that is over 20 inches tall.

On Christmas Eve, I found the place with the most Christmas spirit was next to our village. In Jiquing Village, a tradition of decorating houses with Christmas lights has once again drawn tourists from many places to feel the holiday spirit. People came all the way from Japan and stopped by this romantic place under the lights and Christmas spirit to enjoy the special day of the year.

Soon after Christmas, my family and I took the THSR to Kaohsiung where my dad originally came from and visited his two uncles since this is most likely the last time I can travel freely back and forth between United States and Taiwan. The next day I visited my mother’s family and then we head on to the airport and back to the United States.

Although it is hard to feel the spirit of this huge holiday, this visit to Taiwan has become the most valuable memory for me. Even though I have lived with this culture over decades, it is now that I realize the opportunity to go back has now become harder and harder. But with the new friends here at FC, I believe there are many more beautiful memories waiting for us to create together.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @fmichael_0501.

For another opinions article read, the Dec. 15 article, College Corner: Financial Aid