COLUMN: Halfway there

IMG_0551 copy
[/media-credit] Senior Christopher Grossman

Here we stand, halfway through the school year. For some, the first of four such years. For others (like me), this is the end of a long, difficult journey. That being said, it allows for a moment of reflection and understanding concerning what has been accomplished and what I still need to do.

This turning point reminds me of halftime of a basketball game. As a basketball player, I consistently parallel life experiences with my experiences playing the beautiful game. Halftime is the midway point in a basketball game, where both teams take a short break to rest and talk strategy.

In our lives, we must go over strategy concerning not only school, but life in general. Life has a tendency to get in the way of the things we want, and our character can unknowingly change as a result of that.

I personally have been taking strides in my life and walk with God to rethink my priorities in life, and continue to search out His plan for my future. The recent strides that come to mind were made in the past few weeks, the “halftime” (if you will) of the school year.

In student leadership, we have spent a good amount of time reiterating the importance of self-development and usage of partners or small groups to nurture spiritual and intellectual growth. Through this time, we have revamped the class structure and usage of the leadership period, pointing towards an increasingly efficient group of leaders.

It is my encouragement to you to take a step back from the daily struggles and business of your lives to think about what it is that you stand for. With a better understanding of what it is that one stands for, I believe that that person is better suited to make gains in their life, no matter what area of life it is in. — Christopher Grossman

Through these times, I have seen those around me in the class develop their own mental and spiritual characteristics that will influence how they lead their peers and how they develop into young adults.

Knowing that I will be headed off to college next semester, I’ve been trying to grow my own character in a way that reflects Christ. Though I face challenges daily at Fresno Christian, I simply see them as opportunities to minister to those around me and grow in my spiritual walk.

One of my favorite childhood references is from Calvin and Hobbes; when Calvin would be forced to put up with a less than favorable situation, he would always be told that it “builds character”. There was always a silver lining.

It is my encouragement to you to take a step back from the daily struggles and business of your lives to think about what it is that you stand for. With a better understanding of what it is that one stands for, I believe that that person is better suited to make gains in their life, no matter what area of life it is in.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Chrisgrossman.

For more opinions, read the Jan. 13 article, New staffers reflect on fall semester.