Hobby creates radio, television opportunities

[media-credit id=173 align=”alignright” width=”300″]IMG_0879[/media-credit]

Aside from his teaching career at FC, Robert Foshee, takes on the hobby as a sports spotter and statistician for local stations for ESPN. For several years at FC, Foshee has coached several sports including football and has become familiar with the sports department. In doing this, coaching sports has prepared him for participating on local sport stations.

Foshee started out his first three years of working for local stations in Fresno. Looking at the tiny details in plays motivate him while he announces during the games.

“I first started out the past three years spotting for local radio stations for ESPN,” Foshee said. “Spotting means that I watch for details in tackles and blocks; I look out for the small details during the plays. Special stats help tell the story of the game and I make sure to keep an eye out for those.”

Over the years as Foshee has completed more and more radio shows, he has had the chance to open up to television spotting.

“This year has been a new year for me,” Foshee said. “Instead of just doing radio shows I have had more openings in the television area. Recently, I did some spotting for a local game in San Jose for ESPN.”

Foshee takes joy in traveling and spotting while he’s not coaching for FC.

“When I have the chance to travel around for games, it is really exciting,” Foshee said. “During the college football season there are so many games; I visited the USC and Boise Stadiums while traveling. Spotting keep’s me busy while I am not coaching football anymore.”

Fresno State announcer, Paul Loeffler, has worked alongside Foshee and respects his hardworking attitude.

“Robert is detail-oriented, thorough, quick and dependable,” Loeffler said. “When he works as a spotter for me on football broadcasts, he makes me a better announcer. He provides accurate information in a timely manner, and sees things that I might not.”

Foshee thinks back to how he first started out on television.

“The first time I did stats for television I was really nervous,” Foshee said. “I had to talk with the producer truck and there was many times when I thought I would mess up. The announcer trusts you to say the right thing, so you really need to focus and say the right words. After while as I got used to it I was no longer nervous but I overcame it.”

Unlike any other hobby, Foshee enjoys his time announcing and spotting for local events. In the future, he looks forward to continue and travel in company with ESPN.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jennypenny8835.

For more features, read the Jan. 20 article, Family travels to D.C. during Christmas break.