Student Leadership hosts quarterly WSL meeting, Jan. 26

IMG_6521r
[/media-credit] FC Student leadership hosts WSL quarterly meeting for the first time after three years, Jan. 26.

In order to increase productivity and improve FC events, student leadership along with other schools in the West Sequoia League (WSL) join together for quarterly meetings to collaborate with one another. The visiting schools included Firebaugh, Fowler and Riverdale.

After a three year gap FC leadership hosted the quarterly meeting on campus, Jan. 26. The day began with a quick tour of the FC campus, including the computer lab, in which they briefly spoke to journalism adviser Greg Stobbe and the gym facilities.

The group then headed back to the Student Ministry Cafe, where they all participated in an ice breaker. The activity consisted of students given a slip of paper with an item or person on it, and being told to find their ‘pair’ (i.e., peanut butter and jelly). Once united with their pair, they discussed topics such as their hobbies and interests.

After the ice breaker, the students had a leadership discussion. Six tables were set up, each with an FC leadership member, to discuss campus events such as Sadies and service projects. Students sat at a station, and after the allotted time, they switched over to a new station to discuss a new topic.

After the official meeting was adjourned, the schools were invited to make a stop by John’s Incredible Pizza for some fun and games. After their long day, the WSL officers headed back to their own campuses.

Leadership advisor Vickey Belmont feels that it was a good decision for FC to step up to host the event, because it joins the WSL community on a deeper level.

“This event was necessary to bring the WSL league schools together,” Belmont said. “Students were able meet on a field apart from the feeling of competition, but a meeting of the mind. It was a successful choice for FC to host.”

Student leadership ASB officer, Timothy Nyberg, felt that the WSL meeting went beyond simply unifying the WSL league, but also unified the members within the leadership class.

“This meeting was essential for our leadership class,” Nyberg said. “We stepped up to host this event, which drew even our own class together. It was also nice to meet the members of these schools beyond sports.”

Alex Flores, a student from Fowler, reports that this was the most entertaining WSL meeting he has attended.

“My favorite part of the day had to be musical chairs,” Flores said. “We all had a lot of fun and met a lot of new people. This was probably one of the most fun meetings I’ve gone to.”

Jonathan Sanchez, from Riverdale, enjoyed seeing a new perspective and faculty.

“These meetings are helpful because we get to see other school’s special events and we get to share a lot of ideas,” Sanchez said “They help us find new ways to make school more enjoyable for the students and the faculty.”

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson and @_chloemueller.

For more news, read the Jan. 22 article, Student Leadership: Applies for Director of events.