Varsity boys basketball gear up for playoffs (VIDEO)

Basketball
[/media-credit] Eagle basketball fans are encouraged to attend the Big Game verses Fowler on Jan. 30 as the Eagles host the Redcats at 7 p.m.
The Caruthers Blue Raiders (2-1 in WSL) and the FC Eagles basketball team(2-1 in WSL) took to the floor for the much anticipated rivalry game between the two schools, Jan. 27, 2015. The past two years, the Blue Raiders have been winless when traveling to Fresno, and they were looking to break that streak with a win.

However, the Eagles came out strong and ready to play, scoring the game’s first points and pulling out to an early lead. Aided by the scoring of senior Christopher Grossman, the Eagles were able to have a ten point lead at the end of first quarter, 15-5. In the second, the Blue Raiders slowly began to find ways to score against FC’s zone, and were able to limit Grossman’s hot-hand. At halftime, the Eagles held a slim 22-21 lead.

In the third quarter, despite scoring early and gaining the initial advantage, the Eagles struggled offensively throughout the third quarter and for the remainder of the game. Late in the third and early in the fourth, Caruthers was able to get hot and knock down their shots, allowing them to hold a healthy lead and force the Eagles to play more aggressive than they were used to. Late in the fourth, the Eagles were forced to foul and allowed Caruthers to increase their lead, making the score closer than it was. At the final buzzer, the score read Caruthers 57, FC 40.

Senior captain Trevor Beal said it was a disappointing loss after all of the hype, but Caruthers is a very beatable team and he looks forward to playing them again.

“Yesterday’s game was a tough test for us,” Beal said. “They are a good team and we need to continue to get better in order to best them and other good teams in the future. I believe that eventually we will be on their level and beat them.”

With the loss, the Eagles fall to 10-10 overall with a 2-2 record in West Sequoia League. Caruthers improves to 11-7 with a 3-1 record in WSL.

Fans are encouraged to attend the Big Game verses Fowler on Jan. 30 as the Eagles host the Redcats at 7 p.m. Additionally, please put the varsity boys’ Senior Night on your calendar as the Eagles will honor their seniors and host Minarets, Feb. 3, at 7:30 p.m.