BRIEF: Arte Americas offers culturally diverse art pieces

20150128_115058
[/media-credit] Arte Americas displays paintings by famous artists.
Until Feb. 15, the Arte Americas Museum is having a one of a kind exhibit to showcase the collections of Calixto Robles, Lylia Carr and Jason Bonilla as well as many other artists. The temporary exhibit hopes to bring in new visitors to the gallery to see these new forms of unique modernism and abstract art.

Calixto Robles is an artist from Oaxaca, Mexico. In addition to being a painter, Robles also is a sculptor and print maker. Robles is a very well respected artist and has been displayed in many countries over the years. One of his biggest collectors and supporters is international Spanish rock star, Carlos Santana. Over the years Santana continually supports and promotes Robles’ art. Rebecca Caraveo, a museum curator, believes Robles’ art is a great addition to the current collection.

“Calixto Robles is an incredible artist,” Caraveo said. “I truly appreciate his art and style. It’s a great honor and privileged to have his work on display here in our museum. Hopefully people will take advantage of this opportunity to come and see his unique collection.”

Arte Americas also enjoys appreciating aspiring local artists. Another collection on display is the works of local abstract artist Lylia Forero Carr. According to Arte Americas, Carr’s recent works are mostly considered mixed media. This means that the piece of art employs more than one medium, and often combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. Her works are contemporary and bold, and provide a unique perspective on a popular art form.

Currently at the Arte Americas museum the Hallowell family, who are local philanthropists, host a temporary exhibit that is their families personal art collection. It includes paintings, sculptures, pottery and even fine antique silverware. The family enjoys collecting art on their trips to Oaxaca, Mexico. Rebecca Caraveo hopes that the community can appreciate the Hallowell collection as long as it is on display.

“It was very generous of the Hallowell family to temporarily donate their art to the museum,” Caraveo said. “We hope the community will come out and see this exhibit, as it is only here temporarily. Their collection includes all types of art from sculptures to paintings and fine handmade jewelry. It has something for everyone to see.”

Another artist on display at Arte Americas is Jason Bonilla. I personally found Bonilla’s paintings to be the highlight of the experience. My favorite piece was the painting, “Where Dreams come from.” It is very unique and original, and something that is open to individual interpretation. Some of his other works include, “Goodbye fried rice, Hello friend Chicken” and “Family Trip”.

Calixto Robles is an incredible artist. I truly appreciate his art and style. It’s a great honor and privileged to have his work on display here in our museum. Hopefully people will take advantage of this opportunity to come and see his unique collection.

Arte Americas provides a view of all sorts of art forms and styles. Their mission is to bring art to Fresno to enrich the community, and these exhibits are great opportunities to go support local and international artists.

Admission to the museum is free, however, donations are welcome and encouraged. The museum is located at 1630 Van Ness Fresno CA 93721. For any questions or concerns they can be reached at 559-266-2623.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JustinHFeather.

For more news, read the Feb. article, BRIEF: RAK week is here, beginning Feb. 9.