BRIEF: RAK week is here, beginning Feb. 9

[media-credit id=177 align=”alignright” width=”300″]RAK_Week_2015_Image[/media-credit]

Often in life people are subject to hard time and trials, but with the help of others, those times are more easily endured. Feb. 9-15 will serve as Random Act of Kindness (RAK) Week, in which students are encouraged to look past their own desires and put others before themselves.

Student Leadership and The Feather staff will be teaming up during RAK Week to take the extra step and challenge students to step out of their normal routines and comforts zones to help one another with a random act of kindness.

Participation in RAK week is quite simple, such as giving a compliment to people you normally do not talk to, making a new friend, telling someone you appreciate them or offering someone your help.

To promote the concept of RAK’s, classes such as student leadership have hung banners through halls for students to write how they will participate on. The Feather has stepped in as well, advertising the hashtag ‘#RAKweek‘.

Additionally, students will have an opportunity to serve and show kindness, Feb. 19. The high school students will be off campus to engage with the community and help with graffiti removal, Neighborhood Thrift, the Poverello House and others. Junior high students will be staying on campus to help teachers and custodians.

As an example of RAK week, ABC’s Primetime: What would you do? TV series showcases actors being put into real life situations with hidden cameras to see how people react to conflict, illegal activities, etc. Recently, a segment from an episode published in 2011 resurfaced via social media just in time for RAK week. The video featured a single mother who was unable to pay for her family’s groceries, but was assisted by other shoppers. You may be surprised by what happens.

Clink to watch grocers help a single mother at the check stand.

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather and Instagram @thefeatheronline. This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson.

For more news, read the Feb. 5 article, Students chosen for honor choir, perform with community.